New computer???

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sim, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Sim

Sim New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm in need of some opinions!!!

I am putting together a new computer from scratch purely for music and recording etc...
    I want to know what the best components for this would be.
    i.e motherboard, memory, chipset,cpu etc, you get the idea.
    I will be getting the Hoontech DSP2000 C-port sound card and using Logic Audio, Cubase, Reason, Soundforge, Cool Edit and a couple more audio programs.

Hit me with some ideas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Si
  2. ski_power

ski_power Quark

I suppose Audio is a CPU intensive task,
    So you will need an AMD Athlon XP,(good FPU calculation)
    I would suggest 2600+ or greater.
    You can get any Asus motherboard. They are expensive but are good performers. Else go for a cheaper Gigabyte MB(NOT Midibuddy, it's Motherboard). Since you are not using the PC for games you could put a Riva TNT2(damn cheap lesser than $25 US)
    Go for those KingXII...oops Kingston DDR400 256MB RAM or greater, actually even Hynix would do.
    I haven't heard that sound card, still if its a pro one then good nonetheless.
    A standard keyboard and an optical mouse should do.
    Since no graphics are involved you could get a simple Samsung 17" Flat monitor. Does the job. even 15" is fine. You won't overclock your CPU so a normal 300 Watts SMPS case should do.
    If you need to upgrade to super powerful videocards, dvd burners etc then you SHOULD get a 500 watts case.

Fine now we remain with HDD. Samsung 120GB hdds are cheap, around $100(40GB cost $65, see?). You must need a CD-or-DVD burner. For CD-Writers get the samsung one 48/24/48. I have it and it's great. Writes a CD in under 3 minutes. Not sure which DVD writer you should get, maybe Sony?.
    That's all. Your new computer is ready. Put WinXP Pro and DONOT FORGET TO INSTALL XPSP1.
  3. Vareesh

Vareesh New Member

Nice PC man...but my computer specs would own your computer's spec any day.
  4. Grayson

Grayson New Member

500 watts?? That would raise your electric bill!

If I were you I would go with PSU between 420 to 450 watts.

So in this case, you will have to consider when you plan to leave your computer on or off.
  5. Zandro

Zandro New Member

My old computer, which I used up until the mobo fried a month ago due to grounding issues--the room wiring in which it is plugged to is 50 year old technology--only used a 120 watt power supply, and sufficiently powered all my gear with power to spare. My new 300 watt is surely overkill.
  6. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Power supplies need to provide sufficient power as my blew a few months ago. Have upgraded to 350w and with a new computer shortly will up it again to 400w so that the advanced graphics power requirements are met and a CD Rom and CD RW and 2 hard drives. Will be doing some serious music work over summer hopefully so need the processing power!