new guitar player here

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by wint3r, Sep 6, 2002.

1. wint3r

wint3r New Member

i jus learnt the guitar within the last few days. .my fingering not that good.. any recommendation how to practice without a guitar as i dun have one yet.. and any guitars to recommend for newbies?
  2. stealthbynature

stealthbynature New Member

The only thing i can think of although i havent played in a while is. i'm not good either but people told me to practice the notes and scale that's bout all you can do.:borg:
  3. NOFX ROCK!

NOFX ROCK! New Member

The best thing you can do is play along to stuff. Even if it's a real mess at the start. I play bass and 6 string. I use midis and take the guitar parts out a play them. Best way when starting. The other thing is practice, practice and more practice. Practice till your fingers are sore, till your mum/partner threatens to throw you out, practice till you nearly lose your job through lack of sleep, practise so much you need a new set of strings every week, practice till the cops come round and threaten to take your gear away.

End result, go to a party, pick up the obligitory never used acoustic and play a few songs, the chicks will love you man!!

Oh, and by the way did I mention that you have to practice.:thumbsup:
  4. stealthbynature

stealthbynature New Member

lol

:p that was a funny way you put that lol well that could work to.
  5. JTAN

JTAN New Member

I would find a few simple songs you really like, download the tabs, and just play along with the tune. It will take a few weeks to get your fingers used to playing but that's the best way to do it - just play along!
  6. FlorianapoliS

FlorianapoliS New Member

Just make sure that if you learn songs off tabs then play them with the correct fingering, otherwise you may get into some bad habits early on.
  7. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Well said you all. If you're totally serious I would try and get a lesson from a good guitarist, free or pay!!. Bad habits are hard to break so get good advice at the start!!
  8. axeman

axeman New Member

You really need to get yourself a guitar, but in the meantime, you could try excercising your fingers by squishing a squash ball.

They're small so you can do it anywhere, and although it won't help with your fingering, it should start to strengthen your fingers so that when you do get a guitar, you can go straight into it.

BE CAREFUL not to overdo it. If your hands start to ache, leave it for a bit before you do it again. You can cause DAMAGE to your tendons if you do it too much.
  9. evansst

evansst New Member

Buy a cheap guitar and just Practice, Practice, Practice.... Jam with some mates.... stick an ad up in the local music shop to jam with people if you don't know anyone else who plays
    We're linked to one another by such slender threads...

—Neil Peart
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2002
  10. willi001

willi001 New Member

I was going to suggest finger exercises but someone already did..A squash ball or one of those metal hand exercisers..I found that by writing out tha scales, I remembered them better.So you can write them out and then when you get the guitar, you will already have some memorized...