new to midi

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by ray barnes, Jun 17, 2008.

1. ray barnes

ray barnes Member

I have purchased a Roland RD700SX and also notation composer software.
    Do I need anything else to start creating midi files?

I am totally new to midi

Ray
  2. Kwame

Kwame New Member

Yup, you need a lot more, but thankfully only software now (no more hardware--that is, assuming you have the USB cable for it).

You need to install the USB driver on the computer that the notation software is on, check/troubleshoot the connection to be sure it works, and then learn how to work with any additional "connection management" software Roland might have included (optional). If no software to manage the transfer of midi data/files is included, then most likely you will manage the driver by looking in the control panel>name of your driver. Let me know if you need further information.
  3. ray barnes

ray barnes Member

Thanks for the quick reply,
    I have installed notation composer, and the disc which came with the keyboard onto my computer. I have down loaded midi files from the internet and put them onto the keyboard.
    These play ok through the keyboard but I dont seem to be able to do anything else with them!

Ray
  4. Kwame

Kwame New Member

If you have downloaded midis, and can transmit them to your keyboard, then you have all you need. Anything else you would need to consult either the keyboard or notation composer's manual/help file.

I can tell you that most keyboards need to be switched to communicate through the USB port (as the MIDI port is default), and that any further editing would have be done either by the RD700's sequencer mode, or by your notation composer software.
  5. ray barnes

ray barnes Member

midi

I think you are probably right about the usb. I have connected keyboard to midi via usb, and assumed it was configured because I have sent files to piano.
    How do I configure it?

I have recently sold my acoustic piano and gone digital hence no knowledge of midi.
    I am ok with the computer but find midi a little hard to get my head around

Please be patient

Thanks in anticipation

Ray