new to midi

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by skiboard, Jul 15, 2002.

1. skiboard

skiboard New Member

I am new to midi and interested in recording my own, how much will be tha basic setting fee for equipments?
  2. Peninsular Rain

Peninsular Rain New Member

it can range from 30 dollars to thousands

what do you find interest in?

instrumental....i mean...playing the Midi on Keyboards, Guitars and then tuning them on the computer?

or just simple Midi programs that does midi sequencing?

Rain...
  3. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Excellent point Peninsular Rain.
    When asking a "what do I need for MIDI", be sure to include info about what you need to DO with it...
  4. boogeyarte

boogeyarte New Member

shareware sequencer & synts...

Another goodthing is to download a bounch of shareware sequencers and synthizizers and use them untill they expire so you now what you need.

A second hand midi keyboard is also to recomend, you donĀ“t need to best one so...
  5. cctarlton

cctarlton New Member

newbies also need to....

Newbies also need to state whether they are KEYBOARD/piano players who want to learn midi sequencing, or whether they just want to make MIDI files with a program designed for inputting notes one at a time for non-musicians.

Personal view/opinion: if you don't play keyboards please don't foist anymore horrid midis on us all that sound as if they were created by a robot who had never heard the real song.

Check out my very popularly downloaded version of "A Thousand Miles" (Vanessa Carlton) under V on this site or go to

http://www.roncat.net/private.htm for all my midis

to download JUST "A Thousand Miles"

http://www.roncat.net/music/athousandmiles.mid

or my fun try at doing the vocal with my midi arrangement mixed to audio at http://www.roncat.net/music/athousandmilesnew.MP3
  6. Jaswa

Jaswa New Member

knowing what you want

You need to know what you want.

To play midi files (and edit and fiddle around with midi files) All you need is a soundcard with a synth (I'm sure you're already has one) and some software. Media player will play midi files, there is loads of free midi editing software on the net to have a go with.

The synth on your midi card will sound bad (probably) and its hard to play music in without a keyboard. Connecting a midi keyboard to the system will make things easier. You will also most likely want a decent set of sounds to play. These could either be in the keyboard you connect or on a stand alone sound module.

Basicly midi is just a method of triggering notes of certain sounds stored in a synth. The quality of the synth dictates the quality of the sound produced.

Writing midi files is just a matter of putting the note in order! (Obvously theres a bit more than this as midi notes ore not recorded as just on/off, there is a whole host of other information such as how hard the note is played).

Understanding a bit about what midi is will help the newbie realise what he or she needs in a system.
  7. Peninsular Rain

Peninsular Rain New Member

i have a midi program that allows input as well as output of synthesizers

but when the program runs no other midi can be heard ';'
  8. aegis_mz

aegis_mz New Member

9. jax420

jax420 New Member

There is no way to make MIDIs online for free? If not, that blows!
  10. deejaytwist

deejaytwist New Member

there must be one somewhere. If anyone knows such a site, please let us all know :)