new to the scene

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by communitblue, Apr 16, 2004.

1. communitblue

communitblue New Member

Hey i have played in a rock band for four years and have recently been booted out and forced to play three upcoming gigs. I own a Yamaha S08 and have downloaded an old version of cakewalk to my computer - which by the way has only a pc stock soundcard. Im trying to be able to play a live performance by prerecording the other instruments and playing and singing along with them during concerts. I recently purchased a 3.3 smartcard but cannot figure out how to record the backing tracks necesary for my next few live performances as well as getting them to play back in sequence. if anyone is familiar with how to do so (especially with a yamaha S08) i would sincerely appreciate any help. I have purchased the book "MIDI for the Technophobe" but still i am at a standstill about what to do.

Thanks
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

I'm not specifically familiar with the equipment.... but with this information "Sequencer Playback from SmartMedia?
    A newly designed playback sequencer lets you play back standard MIDI files (format 0) directly from a SmartMedia? memory card. Transferring MIDI files to a SmartMedia card from your Mac or PC is smooth and easy thanks to the included Card Filer software. The S08's Chain Playback function gives you uninterrupted playback of up to 100 songs ? perfect for live performance or simply practicing at home with sequenced accompaniments." My initial suggestion is this...

1. Get a smartmedia card reader/writer for your PC... Wal-Mart has 'em if you're US based - and maybe an extra card
    2. Download the songs you want from here (or contact me via PM for some other resources)
    3. Edit out whatever it is you play.... guitar? Vocal lines? Using cakewalk
    4. Save them to your smartmedia card
    5. Play them through the Yahama which you will certainly mix through your sound system....

I'll try'n point some of our memberage who does just this in the direction of your thread... but perhaps I can help to get you started in the meantime.....
  3. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

OH... and click here for instructions on how to play a file on the machine...

and here click here to download the card filer to save files through your PC to the card

and here to find out how to download and install the card filer program that will allow you to save files from MB to the card for playback... I have an older yahama W5... the tracks are easily muted on the yahama itself.