newbie questions please help

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by no0oob, Sep 27, 2004.

1. no0oob

no0oob New Member

Hi all, i am a guitar player (learning) and want to record some songs that i have practiced. Which softwares will let me do the job? i know Cakewalk, Reason, Adobe Audition (cool edit pro), Fruity Loops, Cubase, Sonar .....are some but which one is simple to use?

What is the difference b/w Sonar and Cakewalk. They are from the same publisher right ?

What is DXi softsynths ?

If someone can tell me what effects like reverb, delay do to the original sound...please list all the effects that you know and what they do also. Thank You!

I just want to learn how to use a single software so please suggest me of a good and simple one....

also i will want to edit the record i made like cut and add....
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2004
  2. hayer

hayer New Member

gosh...that's so personal. I suggest you download the demos and try them out for yourself. I use cubase with waves plugins and find them great.
  3. Stewpot

Stewpot New Member

Sonar is just an updated and more sophisticated version of cakewalk, but both will do all you want to do, inlcuding recording, mixing, and processing.
    Try out the demos and see how you get on.
  4. asobrock

asobrock New Member

M Box is even better, proffessional quality and home version of pro tools with a quality drum machine
  5. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

I use both Sonar and Cakewalk... among about a dozen or so other programmes... it just depends on what your preference is really. Do try the free trials though... see what you like after reading the reviews to help direct you. What suits you consider how easy the prog is, the price certainly, quality... As for the effects? Here's a good link (perhaps a bit more technical than you might prefer but it gives a good all around explanation nonetheless.) http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/effects-explained.html
  6. chat0009

chat0009 New Member

i personally like Adobe Audition. my former band and i used that to record our songs. its a pretty simple software which is great.
  7. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Cakewalk vs sonar:

Actually Sonar is just the newer version of Cakewalk, I personally perfer the older cakewalk version to sonar, because it's much faster and offers all of the features that I need. Plus is cheap. ;)
  8. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Cubase is good along with a decent quality sound card like SB Audigy series with the breakout module which allows direct guitar or midi to the computer. The various effects are added after on the midi plugins.
  9. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Hmm, is the SB Audigy series, professional?
  10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

No, it is a consumer-end card. It's EAX and SoundFont support is why I use it, but there is a harassment of issues that I deal with daily. It is NOT a 24-bit processor, as the company likes to sell Audigy under. The drivers are absolutely riddled with bugs and a high tendency to crash at any given moment, especially in the SFMAN department. Most say the Audigy is noisy, but I am able to keep it down to its advertised level of 'hisslessness' by muting the drive inputs I do not use (MIC, AUX I+II, CD, etc).

A $750USD Lynx2 card is what you'd expect to be truly professional, not an $80USD SBAudigy.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  11. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Or, if you only need a couple of channels, you could save a little bit of money and go for the LynxOne at around $500 :) .

Seriously - this is a super card. I've had one for some six years now and it's still nowhere near retirement.