newbie too

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by Luiza*Cunha, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Luiza*Cunha

Luiza*Cunha Charmed Trainee with Goa'uld inside! Staff Member Super Mod

Hello there,
    I'm kind of new to this mid thing and I'm seeking guidance.
    I've been using Cakewalk to make experiments in creating mids and I'm disappointed with the results I've got so far.
    Is there anyone out there who could enlighten me on what kind of sound card should I have to get the best of my mid files?
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Tell us a little about HOW you create or WHAT it is that disappoints you.... There're MANY sequencers here that could help in MANY ways :)

I use Soundblaster and am quite happy with the quality :)
  3. Luiza*Cunha

Hi jeaniesing,
    Thank you for replying.
    I've been trying to create my own playbacks for my singing classes. I made one (It's a hard life - Queen) and some instruments don't sound much like an acoustic one would. I know I won't get perfection but I've seen some playbacks made this way that are much better than mine. My sound card is a SoundBlaster PCI128. Was it my inexperience or the card? :(
  4. Zandro

Zandro New Member

The quality of instruments depends on the synthesiser you use. I recommend you buy a $30 US Sound Blaster Live! card for its SoundFont support. Read here for more information on SoundFont, or ask me specific questions.
  5. Luiza*Cunha

Thanks Zandro,
    I'll go check on this soundfont thing and I might bother you later with one or two silly questions, if you really don't mind :)
    By the way, being silly already, is Cakewalk 9 a good program for editing or would you recommend any other?
  6. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I would be more than glad to help you with SoundFont. Later, if you need a GM instrument bank, you can call on me to send you one custom compiled.

I have been using Cakewalk Home Studio 9 for years, and I have never been aware of a time where I needed anything more powerful. A free alternative is the popular Anvil Studio, which gives you the basics and then some in MIDI editing. What exactly do you need in your program? Just basic note and effect editing? If so, either will do the job.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  7. Luiza*Cunha

Thanks fot the offer. You're really kind.
    I'm using cakewalk to (try to) edit some mid files to create playbacks for my own use (believe it or not, I sing). I play the piano and the organ but I don't have a keyboard to use with the computer so I use the mouse and a loooooot of patience.
    I don't know how to use effects yet but I've bought a couple of books on Cakewalk and I'm trying to learn. I have noticed, however, that some of the effects that appear on the menu make the program crash every time I try to apply them... Oh God, please tell me cakewalk is windows XP compatible! :ah:
  8. Zandro

Zandro New Member

What effects crash the program? DirectX effects have always crashed mine. XP-compatible? I can not be sure of that. I am still running Windows 98 4.10.2222.

No keyboard? Check this out! Only 100$ US!
    http://www.mccormicksnet.com/midihard/prodikey.htm
  9. Luiza*Cunha

Uau!!! That's REALLY cool!
    The sad news is I haven't seen one of those around here yet. But it sure is a great solution for me. Thanks for the tip.

As for the crashing events, I think the problem occurred when I clicked on one of those that come specifically under the menu "audio effects". On the other hand, it might have been just me being dumb...
    :flush:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

ProdiKeys is available for purchase from the Internet, I believe. Yeah, those are DirectX effects. No, it was not you being dumb, for I have the same problem.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  11. strat

strat New Member

Just to let you know,I have cakewalk
    pro 9, And I'm running xp too...
    No problems yet..But I know very little about makin midi's.I use it to change
    tempo's and key's of midi's friends
    send to me or ones I find...I don't have
    a midi keyboard.Just alot of guitars..
    LoL..But I may have to purchase one
    In the furture.I can't find some of the songs in midi I would like to have..

Well Good Luck with your
    project...:)
  12. Luiza*Cunha

Hi Strat,
    Making midi files is not difficult ... the hard part is to make them sound right, similar to the original songs.
    Did you check the link to ProdiKeys Zandro posted? That keyboard is really cool.
    Btw, what songs would you like to have. I have a lot of midi files stored. If among them there's any you want I wouldn't mind sharing with you. :D
  13. psleeeric

psleeeric New Member

My 1st post !!! :thumbsup:
  14. psleeeric

psleeeric New Member

Just wondering if anyone here knows about a song called suteki da ne ? Its the song in the scene in FFX where Tidus and Yuna were at the lake. I tried other sites with FFX midis but they don't seem to have the song. Well I do have that song but its a mp3 song and I can't upload to my web page because the file's too big ... Anyone ???
  15. psleeeric

psleeeric New Member

Horray !!! My 5th post now !!! :thumbsup: I'll go try to see if I can find that song .... :mad:
  16. Luiza*Cunha

Sorry ps, but I'd never heard of that song before. Maybe you should try the requests forum instead :rolleyes:
  17. psleeeric

psleeeric New Member

Ok , thanks . Its not that I don't have that song , its just a mp3 song though which is too big to get uploaded ... :mad: I believe that song was suteki da na sang by Japanese singer Rikku (?)
  18. coneone

coneone New Member

hi! i read your posts and now i used it it sounds good
  19. psleeeric

psleeeric New Member

I suppose it is ... Well ... I am a new user too !!! :p