Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Dharma Bomb, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Dharma Bomb

Dharma Bomb New Member

Could someone help me out? I've only started creating MIDIs, but am finding the programs I've been using sound too fake.

What's a good sequencer program to start out with for piano tunes that I don't need to also buy a keyboard for?

The names of free programs I can download would be preferable, but I'm more than willing to toss a little money into this.
  2. Dharma Bomb

Dharma Bomb New Member

Also, programs that support oriental instruments would be nice (kintaro drums, bamboo flute, chinese fiddle, etc.)
  3. MIDImafia

MIDImafia New Member

midi programs wont really change the sound, its what GM bank u have running on ur computers soundcard, some sound better than others, but all have the same instruments. try searching www.google.com for "free midi sequencer" and u should find something.

midi generally sounds "fake" unless u got a real got MIDI bank.
  4. dwnpwr

dwnpwr New Member

In general many MIDI factory preset banks (the cheesiest of the cheese) can be made to sound good, but it takes talent and years of practice in programming, mixing, and mastering to make the sounds pleasing.

Many people prefer to spend money in order to make things sound better: either by buying a dedicated keyboard (like a Kurzweil), or investing in a sound library like that supplied by QUantum Leap.
  5. gotryce1026

gotryce1026 New Member

One word...........
    *SOUNDFONTS*
    use this info wisely
  6. nienie

nienie New Member

A self-created MIDI always sounds fake or dry to my opinion. Professional sequenced MIDI's usually sound better. I think that's because of the use of several instruments. A piano MIDI never sounds beautiful, but when you add just some strings parts, it sounds much better, sometimes even very beautiful! It just makes it more spherically. Adding pedal (for the piano) can help, but it's very difficult to make that sound well, because the sound will be echoing and tuning. Adding two violins with exactly the same notes instead of one seems to help too, the same with every other instrument. You could also copy the notes and pitch them to (for example) an octave or a third above or below.

Good luck!
  7. Rankinfile

Rankinfile Guardian Angel

If you're just listening to your midi files through a computer with a standard sound card it's gonna sound *real cheesy*. I use a Roland XP-60 to make my midi files sound good. Haven't found a way yet to do that on my computer. Guess I would have to upgrade the sound card to the max.