original-first attempt(pleaz evaluate)

Discussion in 'Original Music' started by mugsyman, Dec 11, 2002.

1. mugsyman

mugsyman New Member

hey guys this is just a song i made with a miniature keyboard, certain parts of it are ok, could ya pleaze send a reply on what ya think, especially ways i can fix it. I already know the corus is shoddy but the rest is what id like to know

Attached Files:

2. mugsyman

mugsyman New Member

this is a second incomplete file, im asking you these to wonder if its worth finishing 'em

Attached Files:

3. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I like it pretty well. Things that jump to mind...

- the string section is in a fairly low register, could be a little higher and lighter, or perhaps could work its way up into a higher register
    - the string accompaniment is a little blocky - you might try a bit of polyphony, or maybe just vary the chord spellings a little to make for more interesting variation
    - the solo guitar in the chorus is too quiet - bring it out more.
    - the percussion could be spiced up a little with fills, etc.
    - maybe the piano part could grow slightly more in complexity throughout the song?

Nice sound though, enjoy it!
  4. ZelRiptha

These are sure moody pieces :)

- the obbligato guitar might need a break, solo, or variation
    - the snare hits are a little shocking, but if that's the intent, it works
    - might try an upbeat center section with a key change, of if you keep it short, a short synth/guitar solo or something

Has promise, needs polish.
    Very good though!
  5. mugsyman

mugsyman New Member

thanx 4 all the help, but how would i improve the snare sound, i have a really crap soundcard, to me everything sounds like an organ, i couldn't find a soft drum kit either they're all really bassy snares
  6. ZelRiptha

You could reduce the velocity of the snare notes, but as you said, balancing the sound on your sound card might not guarantee a balanced sound on someone else's. You might also try downloading the Yamaha softsynth (http://www.yamaha.co.uk/xg/html/h_featur.htm) - it's a free 30 day trial and could drastically improve the sound on your PC.

Anyway, the most important thing is to satisfy yourself. If my ideas help you do that, then great. If they don't, then don't use them. :)

Good luck! :thumbsup:
  7. mugsyman

mugsyman New Member

okay i downloaded the softsynth, they actually weren't meant to be snare shots in the second one, it was like a DJ turntable. I use WinGroove, and i made it with that, so it seems the percussion instruments have been altered

If Theres neone out there with WinGroove could ya pleaz evaluate it! Thanx
  8. midimaster05

midimaster05 New Member

i think that they sound great... 4 a 1st composition, take it ez on the snare hitz, unless u like it that way!!!

nice work!!!
  9. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

byandy.mid Really good first attempt, as ZelRiptha says a bit more variation in the percussion and block chords in the strings. Piano is good but needs to have some variation. Like it otherwise.
  10. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

byandy2.mid is unusual. The DJ groove bit can become a bit repetitive and detract from the brooding descending chord progression which works well.
  11. MisterRogers

MisterRogers New Member

Listening to the first one right now...

I really like it. As mentioned, make the guitar solo a little louder, and a little more variation.

Nice job.

I liked everything in the second song (the rap thing, intentional or not, sounded pretty unique) except for the ending. I think that could be done less abruptly.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2003
  12. Enrique

Enrique New Member

nice try ,good job
  13. uab

uab New Member

its allright