P2P Downloads

Discussion in 'Computers' started by sturm, Jan 1, 2005.

1. sturm

sturm New Member

What is the most versatile P2P program - Kazaa just isn't helping me anymore.
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

BitTorrent, alongside a client of personal choice, is the increasingly prevalent protocol people have been switching to lately. I have been using BitTorrent for only a month, but already I have collected dozens of new albums from talented independent artists that appropriately decide to never contract with the costly Recording Industry Association of America. Since the RIAA and MPAA forced the closure of SuprNova.Org (rest in peace), others have had a slight difficulty in finding exactly what they want. It's still not hard (IMO) to get anything, thanks to the underground push for decentralisation. If you wait a few weeks, the eXeem client/protocol co-developed by Sloncek, creator of the original SuprNova torrent sharing service, will be released as public beta. This will integrate a considerably important new security and end-user features in its framework.

The way BitTorrent works is genius. Instead of several users downloading from the same copy of a file hosted on a specific server, they instead obtain pieces of it over a day or two, and then share the missing pieces amongst themselves to complete each others' files. This saves a huge load on bandwidth for the original host, since it is the 'peers' that become the 'seeds' for the file(s). To start a download, users must download a small .torrent file with information regarding how many pieces are part of the main file(s), what tracker to connect for information on what peers and seeds are available, where they are, and other bits of information. As for most peer to peer networks, there must be a client to interpret and make use of the protocol. My recommendation, because of its load of customisationability features (it runs in Java) and, most importantly, error correction/disaster recovery, would have to be Azureus. Download it from azureus.sf.net to start using the network immediately.

The one downfall SuprNova had was that it was centralised, jargon meaning all the .torrent files were hosted on a single mainframe that was easily accessible by anyone. Earlier in December, when the RIAA and MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) launced a crack down on illegal file sharing P2P network servers instead of their individual users, they disabled more than 100 official trackers and filed billion dollar lawsuits against some of the most important .torrent hosts. Thankfully, the SuprNova.Org team shut down their services voluntarily, thus having their criminal offense charges waived. This gives them a chance to complete their new project that provides complete decentralisation, and a method to make all peers in a sense trackers themselves. Oh, and encryption of file location. Nobody will know where the original seeds come from.

There is not yet very much known to many about the eXeem protocol, as the developers aren't saying a full mouth. It is supposed to be a modified version of the BitTorrent protocol with integration of a few key KaZaA functions. Its main goal is complete decentralisation, so nobody can be attacked as easily. More features will include adding review comment tags to individual torrents (torrents?) supplying the next downloader with information whether the file is not worth downloading, good to eat pizza by, or whatever. Also, there will be a relatively simpler process to publish new .torrent files. I was never able to master the publishing of new torrents with BitTorrent, so perhaps this can be a major positive influence for the alreay high content rating for the BitTorrent community. More hashes (references for other P2P networks to share in the downloads) will be added as well. Perhaps the only slight negative will be that the integrated client will be ad-supported, but Sloncek has told us that some of the ads will be optional or affiliatory to the type of downloaded material. Sounds like it might be using Google Syndication, which I, an Adblock supporter, have never been bothered by.

So, there you have it. I don't know everything, and I may have smudged some of the actual information, but his has been my experience with BitTorrent and the upcoming eXeem protocol as of late, and I for one consider the next few weeks to be another great revolution in the peer to peer networking community. Tread lightly, however, for with this new forced decentralisation, I don't doubt that the RIAA will start attacking the end users again. If you're going to use BitTorrent, I recommend you use a good hardware firewall and install Peer Guardian. At their full potential, they block literally billions of IP addresses of local and federal governments, international bodies of study and statistics, spyware and adware groups, and even the occasional trojan distributor and console cracker. P2P had to go underground again with the most recent attack, but they know their way through the maze of tunnels and will find the light as they have in repetition throughout history.

Zandro
  3. fluffycow

fluffycow New Member

The BitTorrent protocol is possibly the most used P2P software out there. I think I read someplace taht it was accountable for about a third of the total traffic of the internet. If you're at college, there's a protocal called i2hub that is good. WinMX is used also, but is crap in my opinion.
  4. whats up

whats up New Member

is bear any good
  5. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I have no clue what you are referring to.
  6. blumnmz03

blumnmz03 New Member

irc is quite good too.
  7. alyoung

alyoung New Member

8. kim_eh

kim_eh Gratified

Aww... I don't think it's that bad. I mean, it doesn't look the best, but it still gets the job done.
  9. merianne

merianne New Member

I really like Limewire
  10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Limewire was recently busted for redirecting users' online purchases to their account, informing the user that it is for the benefit of the liberal use of their protocol. Even after the software is uninstalled, the profit hijacker remains on the computer. Are they worth it to you?
  11. glennhwth

glennhwth New Member