PC Midi Interface

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by xskhaos04, Jan 11, 2004.

1. xskhaos04

xskhaos04 New Member

Im looking into buying a midi interface system that will allow me to use a keyboard to control samples on my computer through Gigastudio. Im looking for something with very low latency. Right now I have a sound blaster audigy 2, and the latency is way too high for real-time playing. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

The latency you are experiencing has nothing to do with the midi interface. I bet that using the audigy to play soundfonts works fine!

The root of your problem is the latency being introduced by Gigastudio. The only real cure is more processing power.
  3. xskhaos04

xskhaos04 New Member

Gigastudio

Im pretty sure I have enough processing power for gigastudio. I have 2.1 Gigahertz AMD Processor. Im thinking it may be the fact that im using an opensource driver called KX in order for the Audigy to use GSIF.
  4. lebanese88

lebanese88 New Member

hi thx for ur help
  5. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Re: Gigastudio

Aha - yes, you're probably thinkiing along the right lines. Whatever it is, it won't be the midi port itself causing the latency.

I'm sure there must be others on this board with a similar setup to yours, maybe they'd like to chime in with their own solutions to the latency thing?
  6. xskhaos04

xskhaos04 New Member

Giga

Yeah, im sure that someone on here knows whats going on. The latency that I have right now is pretty low, but it is not good enough for real time playback. Is there something maybe in the driver settings I could adjust that might decrease the latency?
  7. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Dunno.. I'm guessing, but are you using ASIO?
  8. xskhaos04

xskhaos04 New Member

gigastudio

Im not really sure exactly how this driver works. Its an opensource driver called KX project. It has ASIO and GSIF support. Now as far as any of the advanced options for the driver. I have no idea.
  9. Zandro

Zandro New Member

The original intent for use of the Kx drivers was for software development. I had trouble running the drivers fluidly on my 500MHz PC, so I coudn't explore anything.
  10. xskhaos04

xskhaos04 New Member

Giga

Could someone give me an idea of where to look in the kx settings to maybe decrease the latency?
  11. Zandro

Zandro New Member