PC Recording

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by shorts, Oct 28, 2001.

1. shorts

shorts Member

Hey folks...

I am starting out in PC recording and have just done the first demo for my band.

I have been using Logic 4.7 but also have cubase 5, Nuendo, Sonar and a few other programs.

Very new to this but eager to learn and trade tricks..

Starting with my first trick i stumbled on:

ever had messages saying your CPU / Disk is too slow?

if you are using FAT32 as your disk file system, create a new partition for your music recordings and raise the cluster size to 32k or higher. (I used Partition Magic 6 and 32 was as high as I could go, but I believe even higher is better).

FAT32 usually defaults to 8k clusters to make the storage of data more efficient. The problem is that when you record an audio track at 30meg+ the number of clusters used is massive. The processor and disk work hard to keep track of all these clusters as the File Allocation Table becomes huge. This will slow your disk and your processor when recording or mixing.

Shorts...
  2. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

To add to that you should have at least a 7200 RPM ATA66 drive. If you have some old crappy one laying it won't work. Trust me, I tried. You should also check the transfer rate. NOT THE BURST TRANSFER! but the sustained. Usually bts is the # taht most manufactures give you.. you want to look for sts..

Oh and shorts.. do you have a full version of Cubase 5? I really really could use it. I'm running Win2k and v3.7does work on it.. soo.. I have to have a duel boot with win98 just for cubase..

Is it a rip or the actual CD?
  3. shorts

shorts Member

I have all cracked copies of the software except I have the Cubasis CD.

I am still in the middle of changing from Soundblaster Live to Audigy and having sample rate problems there.

I have 2 9gig UltraWide SCSI drives in my P3/500 and 512Meg Ram. I found that even with these drives, the changing cluster size made a huge difference.

Shorts
  4. saherndz

saherndz New Member

Get Pro tools and some more memory and you'll be OK.
    Relax Rookie
  5. ch1819

ch1819 New Member

or just more memory
  6. turbocoo

turbocoo New Member

I dont think that the soundblaster cards are much use when it comes to audio recording. A good audio card is a must.
  7. hoolie

hoolie New Member

I agree. The latency is pretty poor which causes problems when recording with effects.
  8. amoodswing2000

amoodswing2000 New Member

I use Cakewalk 9.0 in conjunction with Cool Edit Pro ver 2.0 and it works very well. Especially on Demo stuff.
  9. shorts

shorts Member

The new setup

Ahh my how time flies when your are having fun!!!

Seems like ages since the SBlive.... as my Recorder PC now has an Audigy card but has been demoted to a lowly internet server. The new Recorder PC is now a P4 with 512meg RAM (have another 256 for it but the vid card seems to crash the system if the system has more than 512... go figure). Also still running UltraWide SCSI Hard Drives (5 of em now) plus burner and DVD. Now using a Maudio Delta 2 in 2 out... what a difference!!! :)
    The 21" monitor is a must now too!!! How did I ever do without it I ask myself...

Software... now theres another story...

Let me just say... SOANAR 2!!! Take a serious look at this for home studio stuff. I also run Logic 5 and sometimes Reason. (I seem to have left Cubase VST behind). Soanar is getting much better and the DX synths are beginning to be as comprehensive as the VST instruments... well worth a look!!!

one thing that I can recommend too.... if you are serious about a PC Recorder, use the PC ONLY FOR RECORDING!!! Get a second machine for your games and Net Access etc!!! Dont load unneccesary crap onto your prime recording machine as it can cause conflicts - crashes etc.. My machine has been very reliable since I rebuilt it from scratch and just installed Audio Apps!!!!

Craig...
  10. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Aside from still using Cool Edit Pro 1.2a, this is my combination exactly. Love it. Tried Cool Edit Pro 2.0, but have had a frustrating synch problem - so I lost it and went back to 1.2a

Anyone have any idea what would cause a (curser) synch/playback problem in CEP 2.0?
    SB Live card maybe?

Ciao!
  11. mudguy

mudguy New Member

Try a mac.
  12. NuMidOne

NuMidOne New Member

if you reall ywant to record on your pc then go get a better sound card. one with better A/D converters and perhaps more I/O if you want to record many tracks at once.
  13. cbeitzel

cbeitzel New Member

Re: The new setup

I have found sonar 2 to be quite effective. I use most of the available plug ins and T-RACKS24 to do the mastering. As for digital audio in I use a M-audio DELTA 1010. MOTU is the place to be if you want 24 ins and outs. As for the computer, as said before, It should only be an audio computer. I have gotten away with IDE drives (7200 rpm 120 gig).
  14. Tevita1

Tevita1 New Member

Yes I use an ISIS Pro sound card and you will be amazed at the results
  15. Tevita1

Tevita1 New Member

I also use Cubase VST for midi, Maxi Audio pro, and Sound Forge. All with fantastic results
  16. Firegarden

Firegarden New Member

Sonar with Aardvark - beautiful
  17. PsyChoPath

PsyChoPath New Member

Macs are really good for recording Music. They use them in Professional Studios. I studied in one for a couple of months and I learned there that Macs are more stable than PC for Music Editing and so on. That's why it's Music Industry Standard (Atleast for Recording Studios). Me Personally, I still prefer the PC
    :withstupi
  18. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

I agree, macs are much more powerful, but I have a pc.
    Tevita1 hit the nail on the head with isis. I have just finished an album using isis maxipro, very user friendly software and great recording. One thing that can also drag down your cpu is plugins. Different types use different amounts of power, if you can do your eq-ing and single track compression in another proggy like wavelab or soundforge, it makse for more power in the mixdown
  19. tc_chicago

tc_chicago New Member

i use reason to create music and then import into digital performer to enhance the sound. have remixed a few projects for sony records.

tc
  20. MacMan

MacMan Network Consultant

(chanting)10,000 RPM! 10,000 RPM! 10,000 RPM! 10,000 RPM!

lol

-MM