pc vs. mac

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by nixo3, Apr 27, 2004.

1. nixo3

nixo3 New Member

i am an audio production student who is trying to set things up at home. this is my first thread at midibuddy. i have very little experience but i am working on a power mac g4. i have an evolution mk-449c midi controller made by m-audio. i would like to get that old-school sound that most hip hop music is missing now-a-days. i have looked at some vintage drum pads but most of them that come with software of course were made for pc's. what can i do to se the older equipment in my set up? what other equipment will i need in order to set one up and send the midi back and forth from my computer to my drum pad? i know i can use the drum basically as a trigger for other midi stuff and that will allow me to do things i wouldnt be able to for such little money. what do you guys suggest? i will be making instrumentals via programs (either cubase or logic--what should i get?) and also recording vocals. i would like to do both with one program although i was told i will need quite a nice soud card. well i know that is a lot but any help i can get, although i am basically asking for you guys to help create my set up!
  2. nixo3

nixo3 New Member

no love?----HELP ME PLEASE!
  3. alycia

alycia New Member

sry can't help...good luck with your songs though
  4. Rich_b

Rich_b Bass Cadet

If you're serious it *might*be worth getting a PC. At least then you know the software is around for it and finding the right software will be harder than finding a PC?

Card-wise the Creative Platinum Live! is pretty good, has aux, optical. SPDIF, Midi and a guitar jack input. Don't know if they make cards for Macs tho.
  5. dirtbiker245

dirtbiker245 New Member

pc rules all.
    Those with a mac have not the courage to use a REAL computer.
  6. georg001

georg001 New Member

i work now several years with cubas. i have also tried logic, but that was not working fine for me. i think in earlier days a MAC was better for music productions, but now i think the PC is better.

Hoping you have success with your productions
  7. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Never really got into MAC side as most shops only sell PC's and the studios I have been in all seem to have PC's or in one case and Atari 1024 running Cubase on 1mb of memory! I think there is more support on the web for PC's and they are cheaper than a MAC.
  8. LollipopGrrl

LollipopGrrl New Member

is this the bash macs post? i thought he/she asked for help... i did a quick search online and found loads of stuff - a good place to look is in mac archives - i often find answers to my questions there... good luck & stick to macs! mine are all no hassles...
  9. wbsmith892

wbsmith892 New Member

be careful saying that..
  10. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Macs are generally better, but don't have the mass appeal or the mass quantity of sortware as a PC.

By the way, I have always used PC's and honestly beleive that Mac's are better. I use a PC because of cost and readily and diverse software programs.

It's like everyone uses Windows, but that doesn't make it the best for our purposes.
  11. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

I totally agree. :)

Macs are good for:
    - Writing Music
    - Video Editing
    - Graphic Design
    - Animation

Windows is good for:
    - Games
    - Viruses ;)
  12. bungalowbill

bungalowbill New Member

depends a lot on software choice.
    Logic or Digital Performer are essentially Mac only, Cubase could be either. I'm not sure about options for windows, but Cakewalk is PC only.
    It seems that most hobbyists use PCs whilst most pros use Macs.
  13. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Maybe it's because the pros have enough money to spead on good equipment.
  14. musikman1

musikman1 New Member

Well, some of us pro's have been using PC's for over 20 years. :)

However, when addressing the "which religion (Mac or PC) should I join?" I always offer the following:

It's 11pm, your computer crashed in the middle of a session, you need the music for a performance tomorrow. You can your guru friend for help.

WHATEVER your personal guru has is what you should have. Go with your support system. The cost btw Mac and PC is negligible, and there is ample pro level software on both platforms. Stick with what your expert buddies have and you'll live long and prosper. :)

I, for example, am an absolute dinosaur. I don't use Mac, I don't use Windoze, I'm running a sequencer in (gasp!) DOS.

Sounds horrible, doesn't it? Of course, I use nine hardware synths, no virtual anythings here. I have outboard effects, BBE882, and such. I've just been at it so long and am fairly good at my current setup, the thought of learning new software makes hair grown on the palms of my hands (that's my story, and I'm sticking with it!).

If you'd like to hear samples of what an old dinosaur does in DOS, check out www.bway2.com/tracks/laman ..

Those are sequences I put together hiring a guitar player with a Roland GR-7 to input the intricate guitar stuff, and a drummer buddy that played in the drums on a Roland SPD7 for me. But the sound you're hearing is 100% MIDI.

The nice thing about running in DOS, is that you have no latency or CPU cycles taken up by virus checkers, networks, printer drivers, video drivers, ASIO, etc, etc etc.. Most of the stuff I do is 60-96 tracks in the seq's, and I get NO latency on playback, never have, even with up to 260 note polyphony.

And EVERYTHING in the sequencer is max 2 keystrokes away. (No mouse) Man, do I hate doing the drag click drag click drag click cha cha cha in some of these newfangles programs. (grin)

Rick the olde pharte
  15. mmmmeL

mmmmeL New Member

bill gates is a dink. that's all i have to say lol.
  16. deifiic

deifiic Guest

If you wanna use windows software, just get Virtual PC for Mac =)
  17. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

to the original poster - I dont know about drum pads, but to ur Logic or Cubase q - I would say have a look at Logic pro 7 , its the latest version and runs on macs only.

It has drum kits and synths already built in, it would probably have a hiphop kit, that u can tweak to how u want it. You can also record vocals etc of course.

iFrom my current research ive been told its the best.You can get a decent price with a student discount.
  18. tensai

tensai New Member

not gonna really look into what others posted and just assume that it wasn't covered already..

generally, macs have been better for media-related applications in the past. in terms of raw processing power.. ibm (maker of the g5) has lost to amd. athlon 64's are more powerful than g5's in every possible way. but if you think about it, no pc/mac will ever be limited by the processor (given that you're not running a p3).. so the more relevant argument would be in terms of hardware support and interface.. which i think apple still has the upperhand for. however, if you take price into factor.. then the mac is over-glorified.

with respect to samples and synths.. you should be able to do fine with either pc or mac. if the format is akai, you can convert it to a pc compatible format.
  19. chopsticks12

chopsticks12 New Member

Personally, I believe that Macs are better, especially for those who are interested in music production. They provide more solutions than PC's and have less problems. I should probably mention, though, that I use PCs just as often as I use Macs. I find that by using both, I never have a situation where I don't have what I need.
  20. spicer23

spicer23 New Member

overall u cant argue with the mac daddy