peoples midi interpritation of songs

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by fifis4, Jun 25, 2004.

1. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi Graeme,

Yes, I agree with you. Midifiles can sound very differently on different keyboards. Even when you take the Roland SoundCanvas SC880 and one of it's successors SD90, you need to tweak the file a bit in order to have a perfect mix. But hey, it's midi, you can change and tweak and play around with the sequences as much as you like ;-) Most people need to mute some tracks, or transpose the files anyway before they can use them on stage.

The problem John has is clearly another problem. It's not about how the patches are stored in a midifile. It's about how the keyboard controller sends out the program change msg's. Kind of the same question with old and new Cubase versions: will we send a PC &H00 or a PC &H01 when the user selects Patch 1 ? Does he really mean Patch &H01, or did he mean Patch &H00 ? It's up to the manufacturer to decide, and apparantly, different manufacturers have different policies on this issue. Fortunately, this is not an issue when ditributing GM midifiles, all brands will read them in the same way.

Kind regards,
    Alain

PS: I read some of your anwers posted on this boards and I enjoyed your approach and common sense ;-) You seem to have a lot of experience in midi programming.
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I think those who use midi for this purpose and (as in my case) as a composing tool, fully understand why things conspire to make it sound 'wrong' and they're prepared for this. What I fail to understand is how anyone could use midi as a medium for the storage and playing of music for 'pleasure'. Surely, they would be better off with even an MP3 of the original than some half-baked midi file?

Yes - understood.

I started out as a recording engineer, so I've been in touch with midi ever since it first became available. It's only during the last ten years or so that I've been actively using it for myself - but I learned an awful lot from the mistakes of others :) .
  3. songer

songer New Member

yeah i think that none of these sound modules/keyboards sound exactly the same when they play midi... just guessng...
  4. ricehands

ricehands New Member

i hear that but its not always easy to sequence perfectly