Piano song to CD from midi

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by explorador, Jun 5, 2006.

1. explorador

explorador New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and I've been searching for ways to record my songs from midi. The panorama:

I have a midi compatible keyboard, wich I use to compose some songs of mine and I already have some in midi format.

I want to record the songs to a cd with piano quality. My keyboard sounds very realistic (piano), but trying to record its sound into the computer (keyborad directly connected to the line input), records the piano with electric noise, is not a clear sound.

I tried recording the midi output but the instrument sounds really fake.

I read about midi to wav but almost every software does the same (recording the midi while playing) and the same... fake sound, via Windows or Quicktime.

Ideas:

I read about the soundfonts, so the soundcard plays the midi with better piano sounds from a sound bank, right?. My soundcard is CMI9838/C3DX (wich I know is not compatible with soundfonts.

So my alternatives are,

1.) buying a soundblaster with soundfonts support and record within the computer the played song (please advice me on this, I'm really new to soundfonts

2.) buying a software synth and do it there... (playing the midi). This is kinda expensive... $250+...

Anyone already recorded a piano song succesfully? Mine sound great on the keyboard, but it would be great to have them on a cd...

thanks in advance
  2. explorador

explorador New Member

bump?

Any help with soundfonts?
  3. algallego

algallego New Member

How about a pci audio interface and recording software to record your keyboard outputs:

INTERFACES:

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/

UBS or Firewire should have something in your price range.

-----
    DAW SOFTWARE: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c699

1.) Apple iLife '06 for MAC... using Garageband--- $79.00

2.) Steinberg Cubase SE / Virtual Instruments Collection Bundle---$99.99

3.) Cakewalk SONAR Home Studio 6--- $99.97

4.) Cakewalk SONAR Home Studio 4--- $89.00

5.) Mackie Tracktion 2--- $99.99

Now the important thing to bear in mind, is to consider carefully your choice of audio interface as pertains to platform (PC/MAC), OS, software compatibility with interface, and, most important of all, your budget!

If you decide to approach it from a software standpoint first, don't buy the software until you know you've found an interface that is compatible with your software and within your budget. Then consider the cost of cables, unless of course you already have those. Then check your grand total... I'm sure you can put together something for under $200 dollars that and isn't going to break the piggy bank.
  4. algallego

algallego New Member

5. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Well it sounds like you've already somewhat solved your problem.

I would say your best bet would be to hook the audio out (i.e. not midi) to the line in on your sound card and then record it that way as you say you've tried. It's difficult to know what could be causing the noise problem without more info. I've never heard of your sound card, and a search for it only turned up this very page. What kind of connection is the line out on your keyboard verse your sound card? Also what software are you using to record the audio?