"Pirates of the Caribbean"-Medley WIP

Discussion in 'Arrangements' started by CaptainSolo, Nov 26, 2003.

1. funkmasterta

funkmasterta New Member

I've been wanting to listen to some of your other self sequenced compilations but like I said, this $ system sucks dick. fatwallet.com has no such system and yes, they have leechers but if you have really good content, people will post, get you more good content, up your traffic, so you can sell more ad impressions.
  2. funkmasterta

funkmasterta New Member

Personally, i think midibuddy is selling themselves short. They have THE BEST midi's on the web and with almost every cell phone out there enable to play polyphonic ringtones, they're shooting themselves in the foot by being toooo cautious about leechers. A great example of this is Microsoft, they let everyone use FAT file system for free for the longest time, to get everyone hooked and now they're starting to charge for it, $0.25 per unit sale, cost to mfg's but eventually passed on to good 'ol us.
  3. funkmasterta

funkmasterta New Member

oh yea, I forgot to mention that it's incredibly that you can do all this by ear??!

btw, you do it on a keyboard? I'm pretty new to this but I'm starting to get more into it. I currently use a POS Yamaha from bestbuy, not that Y's are POS, just the model I have. My friend just bought a Korg Triton Studio and it's freakin awesome! It was 2k though. Any other good brands/models out there?
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  4. CaptainSolo

CaptainSolo New Member

No, I don't use a keyboard (except for my PC-keyboard of course *g*). But for sequencing I just use a mouse. And except for some guitar, I don't play an instrument at all...

And, you can DIRECT DOWNLOAD THE FILE HERE...
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  5. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Captain, I just listened to your latest version. Wow! I love how you finished off the end. Now I'm wishing I had a better keyboard.

I'm curious as to how you did all this? You said you're not a musician so I'm guessing that just means you don't read music well? You did this by ear? That's unbelievable! I can do things by ear, but not that well. I can't imangine trying to do all that without a keyboard and a computer keyboard and mouse. What program did you use?
  6. funkmasterta

funkmasterta New Member

CaptainSolo, did you ever or plan to do a Lord of the Rings theme song?

I found one on the web: www.myt610.com

but the quality is very so-so. Nothing compared to what you've done w/Pirates.
  7. CaptainSolo

CaptainSolo New Member

Well, thanks again for all the praise... and concerning that "sequencing by ear"-issue... well, it's hard to describe, but I'll try:

You're right, I can't read music... I mean, like most people I had some musical education at school, but for me it would take forever to figure out a melody by just looking at notation. And because of this it wouldn't really help if I had sheet music (ok, maybe it would help in difficult passages, but it would take much longer). For me it is easier to listen to the music over and over again, and then I'll just start with the base melody and try to nail it as close as possible to the original. Then I listen to it again, and usually I hear more "details" in the music, which I add to the sequence. I repeat this step many times, until it sounds somehow like the original. When it comes to chords, it's more or less trial and error. I'll add the base note, and try to add the other two notes by just trying around, until I hit the right chord. It sound like it could take forever (sometimes it does), but in most cases I get it right pretty fast (after all there are only 12 different notes). Well, and after all that it just builds... (by the way, I am using the "MIDI Orchestrator Plus" from Voyetra). Of course, there are passages where you can't really figure out every single instrument, and in those cases I simply guess. And I try different things, until it SOUNDS like the real thing... it doesn't have to be right, it should just sound like it would be.

In the case of my Pirates-medley (which is the biggest thing I've done in MIDI), I had the advantage of the composer's style. It was done in typical Hans Zimmer style (of course it was composed by Klaus Badelt, but as a "disciple" of Zimmer, his style was strongly influenced by him... and after all Zimmer "overproduced" the score - as mentioned on the CD - which kinda sounds negative, like Zimmer "proof read" it). Anyway, Zimmer has a very pop-oriented style, which means very homogene rhythms, and not so many changes in speed. This made it a little easier for me.

And this leads to the idea of doing "Lord of the Rings". Well, I would LOVE to do it... again in medley-form (maybe three 12 minute medleys... one for each film). Shore did an awesome job on it. But I am not sure if I can do it (it's NOT pop-oriented). I think I'll try, but it'll take much time... much longer than the Pirates-medley.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  8. funkmasterta

funkmasterta New Member

wow...good post! Thanks for detailing the steps you go thru, much appreciated since it's not uncommon that ppl are unwilling to share good secrets.

try out that t610 link above, it might help you w/the base melody.

I'm sure I speak for everyone as we can't wait to hear what your rendition would sound like.

:thumbsup:
  9. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

10. CaptainSolo

CaptainSolo New Member

Thank you all...

And by the way, I posted the direct link in this thread as well...
  11. funkmasterta

funkmasterta New Member

what are you guys doing on the net? it's christmas!
  12. Tamaralynn23

Tamaralynn23 New Member

OOoh sooo good!! Great job!!!
  13. funkmasterta

funkmasterta New Member

yea, I just hope he creates a Lord of the Rings theme.
  14. funkmasterta

funkmasterta New Member

wow, I just listened to that and it's awesome! yea, it is easier to use sheet music.
  15. mrrish2

mrrish2 New Member

wow, that is really good. keep i tup!
  16. funkmasterta

funkmasterta New Member

17. jannar85

jannar85 New Member

Awesome :D I love the music in PotC :D
  18. Steenabiez

Steenabiez New Member

i'm lovin it lalalallaa :p
  19. Memzee

Memzee New Member

sounds cool
  20. Capt.Sparrow

Capt.Sparrow New Member

yarr

Potc is an amazing film, i look forward to listening to your midi when i get the money :D