Please help with MP3->Midi conversion problem

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by uranusalien, Nov 4, 2002.

1. uranusalien

uranusalien New Member

Hi, I've been having horendous trouble trying to find some free, reliable MP3->MIDI conversion programs - a search on google revealed there is a sortage of such programs

I've been trying for quite a while now to convert a particular file; 'cmeda-xg.mp3'. I just read that XG is an 'enhanced' version of General MIDI, so presumably this file once was a midi, and in the 'XG' format.

I'd really like to convert this file to MIDI format, can anyone help?

Alternatively, does anyone know of some free MP3 playing software that can me made to only play a certain area of a MP3 file (time range)? (windows)

Thanks for any help.
  2. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Please note this is a variation of a somewhat frequently asked question in this forum. You might note the following thread:

http://board.midibuddy.net/t6209.html

It addressed the question "How do I convert a WAV file to a MIDI file?", which is similar.

It should be noted also that converting any sort of digital audio file into a MIDI file is a problematic, complex, and difficult process. The results using current technology are not especially good. There are a few programs that attempt to do so, but their efforts could most accurately be thought of as R & D, thus not elegant, efficient, or in some cases, even useful.

As others have mentioned, you'd probably be best served by creating a MIDI file by ear, or seaching the web for someone else who has. Of course, you can convert your MP3 to WAV and give the above-mentioned program a spin. Odds are, the results will not impress you overly much.

ZR
  3. sm_town

sm_town New Member

Amen to that, brother.
    If there was reliable technology to convert a WAV or MP3 to a MIDI even HALF perfectly, I wouldn't have to bitch and cry and request MIDI versions of songs (just look at the threads in the request forum - I started lots of 'em).
  4. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Do it by ear. It's so much better. I tried a few wav and mp3 to midi conversion programs, and though they might serve well with single track audio (such as a lone guitar track or piano track), they create nothing but havok with combined full audio presentations. You really can't use them with bass, drums, piano etc. combined. If I'm out to lunch and somebody knows a way around this, let me know.
  5. cloakedevil

cloakedevil New Member

wow...ppl can b so good

i don't know how ppl can do that using their ears...i've been studying music for i don't know how long and i can't do that! (except for melody...but all the other things?)
  6. jmortega

jmortega New Member

I agree, do it by ear.
  7. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

i've been playing keyboard now for about 8 years, if you can honestly tell me you can do it by ear, and create a almost perfect midi, your way smarter than i am....
  8. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Re: Do it by ear. It is difficult, some people can do melody. After a lot of repeated listenings and focusing on different instruments you start to get a feel for what is going on. Often in a band situation when one is learning covers without the music, one listens to the recording over and over again ..... Haven't got a perfect midi yet but your skills improve a lot.