Please Help

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by bien, Aug 28, 2004.

1. bien

bien New Member

Hello Friends !!

I´m a newbe to this world and having some problems...

I´m trying to connect a DX-7 Mk1 to my PC, the intention is to put new voices on the DX, downloaded from the internet.

Ok, i´m using the softwares FM7 and DX Manager. I have a midi cable that connects to the game port on the PC. I´ve connected the midi out from PC to midi in on the DX and pc´s midi in to dx´s midi out.

It simply don´t work !!! In the DX Manager soft, when i send a voice, it gives me an "ok" response, but the DX don´t receive nothing... i´ve put the DX to receive in midi channel 1, and the other settings (function 8), but i have no response !!!

What i´m doing wrong ??? Please help !!

Thank you very much !!
  2. Sable_GS

Sable_GS New Member

Have you gone to Start>Control Panel>Sounds And Audio Devices to check that your settings are on proper ones. Also what type of Sound card are you using>is located on Motherboard or is it located in a PCI slot. I use a Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS that has its own panel in front of my PC that makes it easy to connect any devices. Just a word of help
    Good Luck
    Sable_GS
  3. bien

bien New Member

Sable... thanks for your reply !!

I´m using an on-board sound card... windows say that the midi is working ok, and the DX-Manager software also accept the midi port as ok...

but i still haven´t found what i´m looking for...

The DX still doesn´t receive nothing...

Any idea ???

Thank you much !!!!!
  4. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I don't remember much about the DX7, but check that you haven't set it to 'local off' - that would certainly stop it playing any midi it receives.
  5. bien

bien New Member

Graeme, unfortunatly my DX7 don´t have this function "local off"... It have 3 functions for midi, "Avaible ou Unavaible" (is set to avail), Midi channel (set as 1, equal to the software), and "midi transmit" wich is not the case during i´m trying to transmit voices from the computer to the keyboard...

I don´t know what else to do... it is possible that my sound card don´t work for this function ??

Thank you much !!!
  6. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I wouldn't have thought your problem was the card. Have you tried it with another midi generator? If that doesn't work, then maybe it is the card at fault.

I'm afraid we've reached the level of my DX7 knowledge :) , but I did find this link, which might help point you in the right direction;

http://www.math.uga.edu/~djb/html/dx7.html#PC
  7. Ren Hoek

Ren Hoek New Member

Personally I'd check with the cable. I used to have problems when trying to hook-up my SGX 2000 with my computer so they could exchange presets. I used the midi to game port cable that came with my old AudioTRIX sound card and nothing seemed to work. After a couple of hours of pulling out every hair on my head, I went to the computer store and asked the guy about the cable. He told me that depending on the sound card you have, the cable might not have the right pin-out. I bought a new "Sound Blaster compatible" midi cable and voila! everything is working great... hope it helps....
  8. Paddy

Paddy New Member

I agree with Ren.

The data rate is such that if corrupted the computer will not ack the checksum correctly and you will find it will be the computer that is causing the problems.

I had a DX7 MKI and I wound up righting my own program to validate the data and found that data was being corrupted (Very Sad I Know) The cables that come with the computer are not always the correct ones. You will find that some manufacturers wire their 15 way D Types differently to another manufacturer.

Also don't use too long a cable as this could introduce noise and again corrupt data. My feeling is that it is one of two things as mentioned cable is wired incorrectly or it is a poor quality cable and long enough to act as an arial for all external signals.

Buy yourself a 15 quid creative labs soundcard and a really good midi cable and try again.

Paddy.
  9. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi,

It seams the midi signals are not received by your DX7 synth.

Don't mention the local on/off switch. It would only block the signals from the DX7's keyboard to the DX7's sound generator, so it won't affect incomming midi signals ;-)

I would first check whether your DX7 receives midi signals or not. You can check this by sending midi note messages to the DX7. Play a midifile on your PC, and listen to the DX7 (it's not important if the rights sounds are selected or not, just check if the DX7 receives midi data). If the DX7 does not receive any midi data (it doesn't play anything), check on your PC what device you are sending the data to. Go to "Start --> control panel --> sounds and audio devices". Go to the "audio" tab. On the "midi music playback" panel, there is a dropdown list: select "Midi port" or something similar (it depends on your soundcard).

If you can't select "Midi port", your onboard soundcard does not support midi via its gameport (this is the case with a lot of onboard soundcards). In this case you'll need to install another soundcard.

If you are able to select "Midi port", select it and check again by playing a midifile. If you can hear the midifile, you are ready to send the patch data to your DX7.

Kind regards,
    Alain
    www.mididesign.be
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  10. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

As Midiprog2000 Alan says that in the soundcard properties if there is no midi port to select then you card does not support it. It could also be that the soundcard does not have all the drivers installed for it to work with midi. Worth checking before you buy a new soundcard.
    The Creative SB series usually supports midi in and out.