Please Please Help !

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by lcc, Aug 19, 2008.

1. lcc

lcc New Member

Hi good people, im in a bit of a tizzy here & any help will be most appreciated.
    First off, im a complete MIDI newbie & have bought a Roland pc-160a that had no cable & the Roland has only a MIDI out so will USB cable be ok & do i need anything else ?
    Secondly, can anyone run me through the whole thing as iv'e stated i dont have a single clue where to start, & iv'e been reading websites & forums for the last week & i still dont know where to start = what software = how to use ?

Sorry if posting in the wrong place etc or asking completely obv questions but i dont have a clue where to even begin , any info will be most gratefull & hopefully oneday be a valid member of the site !!!

Kind Hopefull Regards

LCC :)
  2. makomako

makomako New Member

I am new to midis to but I don't have a key board or anything like that. as for software, I use finale notepad. You can use it to create and play midi files. to save as a midi you have to use a loop hole. you go to save as and choose midi.
  3. lcc

lcc New Member

Cheers mate, still dont know how to play anything on it ! I was using fruityloops last night & my USB out light was blinking when i was playing my song but nothing at all was happening when pressing the MIDI ! Its all double dutch to me & iv'e been at it solid for 2week now hehe ! I'll keep trying :eek:
  4. evrysnwztake

evrysnwztake New Member

why are midi key boards so hard to use im about to sell my akai mpk49 for $300
    and i bought it about 2 weeks ago for 400
  5. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

seems to me that isn't good business.

I suppose this credit crunch has affected us all - hey at least we don't have swine flu. Can we get oinkment for that lol
  6. Cornet Nev

Cornet Nev New Member

Ok we are now at least eight months on from the original request. Icc may by now be a complete expert on this subject, or given up and sold his gear.

However to answer in as simple a manner as possible for other newbies to understand, that Roland keyboard is a midi controller and probably one of the best types to hook into a computer for a newbie to use. Go for something more complex once you know more about what you are doing.

The next and very important thing is, you need a program on the computer that can record that midi input.
    Surprisingly enough there are many MIDI based freebies out there that can do exactly that. Not only will they record your MIDI input, but also some will display notation of what you have played. A good and simple to use program for free that has extensive instructions on how to use it, is called "Anvil Studio" A google will get you the address to download from. Also Google for MIDI based programs will find you plenty to choose from. (I hesitate to include links as this being my first post, I don't want to be seen as a spammer)

Once you have gone through some of that you may then feel there must be better programs available, and there are. Some that spring to mind are expensive, but worth it if you are using your keyboard to compose new stuff, or even arrange or rearrange existing songs. However top of the range are things like Finale, Sibelius, Cakewalk, Band in a Box, and many more of varying capabilities are available.
    I hope this is of help for someone new to the concept of creating, or like me, just using MIDI files for, or on, the computer.
  7. Duephagemap

Duephagemap New Member

Please Please Help

i got a 09 king quad 750 about 2 weeks ago. i love almost everything about it. if i lock in the front diff and take off it has a very very low rev limiter. i want to remove it so it will not do that. if i lock in the front end that means ****s gonna fly and i need all the power i got. but i have hardly any. please help