Plectrum or not?

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by Lord Midi, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Lord Midi

Lord Midi The Dane of Music

I will soon begin to play the guitar, and I wondered, if it's better to play with, or without a plectrum, in the beginning...?

And by the way, could a Yamaha C40 go for a decent beginner's guitar?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
  2. BöseMiez

BöseMiez New Member

Well, although I just play the Bass I can say that I dont use plectrums at all
    because I think that there is no connection anymore between me and the bass.
  3. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

It depends on the style of music you prefer to play. I began learning to play without as I primarily played classical but if you are mostly into playing rock... I think it's good to learn both eventually but beginning learn how the play what makes you satisfied first.
  4. grayb47

grayb47 New Member

If you wanna play classical, or (Shudder) John Denver type tunes, finger pick. If you wanna rock out better learn to use a pick (plectrum). Haaa Thats a funny name plectrum. Sounds like chicken parts or sumpin.mmmmmm Chicken parts
  5. IUP1234

IUP1234 New Member

it also depends on the speed, if you are going to play fast rock songis i'd play with one, if you're going to play classical its easier to playwithout just plucking, but i'd recomend starting WITH a plectrum
  6. SeeU 22

SeeU 22 New Member

Unless you are gearing yourself towards flamenco or classical guitar I would suggest starting with a pick. I play with a combination of a pick and fingers, depending on the application. Each gives a unique sound.

Good luck,

Neil
  7. Jo-

Jo- Soopa Doopa

BOTH.

As you get better you'll find that some tunes do well with a pick, some you want to strum with fingertips and of course, others you'll want to finger pick.

At the endof the day it comes down to what you are comfortable with. For instance I like to use light guage picks, I'll burn through one in a couple of hours as opposed to using a thicker one ( I've found the majority of people use thick picks ... sounds like a new poll). There is no rule, if there is a rule, then it's made to be broken.

Go with what makes you the most comfortable.
  8. thesnowboard

thesnowboard New Member

you defidantly should..it helps build your confidence and its soo much easier
    -nicole
  9. wtuo

wtuo New Member

picks

i like argeggios and i find it easier to pick them with a plectrum than with my finger or fingernail.
  10. mental_c

mental_c New Member

Both.... I usualy switch between plectrum and fingers when nessesairy
  11. shmoses

shmoses New Member

i'm a big plectrum man, myself. i like them.
  12. strat

strat New Member

Try to learn using both..It will pay of
    in the long run....Best of luck...
  13. BazzerX

BazzerX New Member

Although I play bass, I love using a plectrum (Jim Dunlop 0.88). We play in pubs and when competeing against a mushy sound, using the plectrum really makes the bass cut through. Plus I like a "trebly" slightly overdriven sound anyway.
  14. Jon Marsh

Jon Marsh New Member

Use a pick to suit the style of music you want to play - it's good to be versatile and learn using both.