Police And race...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by madtone, Apr 2, 2003.

1. madtone

madtone New Member

how do you feel the police force looks out on race? in england at present the police are being made to take note of all races that they stop on the street as there is an issue with the police stopping to many black people.

Do you feel the police are prejudice?
  2. jbeavon

jbeavon New Member

i think that there are a lot of bent cops, but i don't think you can generalize about whether the police are prejudice or not. it's like all walks of life, somepeople can give things a bad name, where the majority are not in anyway bad!
  3. CaRoTiD

CaRoTiD New Member

jbeavon needs to take his head out of his butt. Less than 1 half of 1% of all cops are bad. Thats better than the clergy (church folk for the ingunt people).

Perhaps the "bent" cops you are talking about were dealing with you over something you did that was wrong huh? Hear that all the time.

Are cops prejudice cause they profile people?????? Maybee. But I guess all you have to do is look at the court list and the verdicts on any given day to get a real idea.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2003
  4. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Is the fact that they are noting the race of people they stop an attempt to evidence non-racist behaviour?

Police by virtue of their job discriminate, that's what they are paid to do. If they weren't discriminating then they would never stop people for acting suspiciously but would stop granma Smith walking her dog instead. It's not about how many people of what race they come into contact with it's about how they treat them. It's not about treating everybody the same, it's about treating people differently but treating them fairly.

London Met Cheif Constable Paul Condon said a few years ago that the majority of crime committed in his area was committed by young black males. He was seriously slammed for making a racist comment but all he was doing was telling the truth. It's not racist to tell the truth, it's just a fact. It's like saying that 100% of rapes are committed by males is a sexist comment.

In my experience people who are prosecuted or interact in a negative way think police are bast**ds however if Police find their lost dog or get the person who assaulted them prosecuted then they are the best thing since sliced bread. It's human nature.

Don't knock 'em too much. They do a great job on the whole and need support rather than critism.

The views expressed in this post are mine, please don't get your back up if you disagree but please post if you do disagree. That's what this board is all about, a discussion board.
  5. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Just like there are nice/not-so-nice, fair/not-so-fair, etc. people in our world - you find the same in a police force. A difference is that, while most people live in ignorance of how they appear to others, police forces are generally trained in public relations and more often have a clue. I think that police are fairer, where race is concerned, than the general public. Unfortunately, its when that system breaks down that you hear about it not when it works the way it should. If you're concerned make a personal effort - and I mean face to face - to make it better.... If everyone who was concerned did just that.... well... you get it.