Pop-ups and viruses

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by advancedflea, Jul 15, 2002.

1. advancedflea

advancedflea Nude bodyprint maker

A few of you may have noticed that on the Midi Buddy BBS (Buliten Board Service for those who don't understand) there are alot of pop-ups every time you re-navigate to another part of the service.

"Panic Ware" have provided an answer, which i use. it is called pop-up stopper. it's simple, effective and fast. if you want a seperate window to appear, you just press and hold the Conrtol ("CTRL" ) key on your keyboard while clicking the link.

Next thing. I came accross an attachment that I wanted a few days ago, allthough I cannot remeber the file name and didn't have the brains to writedown the users ID so i could PM and kill them. But in any case, I downloaded the file but when I went to run it, Norton anti-virus 2002 came up and told me the file was infected with a very serious worm virus that was about to start ripping holes in my windows files.

Naturally I cleaned the file and Virus-scanned the rest of the computer, allthough to erase the virus totaly i had to lose a few personal files, than god for the idea of backups! But i made sure this wasn't going to happen again so I went hunting and found A program called VCATCH which allthough cannot delete viruses that are allready on your system it can stop them coming in via the web.

I have downloaded and tested this program and I assure you it works perfectly, it updates automaticly and in the background so you donot need to worry about that. the file is availibe for download from http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=VCatch&tg=dl-2001 i suggest you go there.

:boink:
  2. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Shit! You don't remember what thread it was? Are you sure it was a MIDI file?
  3. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

If you still don't have a copy anywhere (like in your quarantined items folder), try going through the "Reports" section of NAV to see if the filename was logged (which it should have been) - if we can narrow down the filename, that could help us find it and get rid of it (right, John?). Are your auto-scan heuristics set at highest? If so, false positives can happen.

Anything you can recall would be helpful - what file type (.mid, .zip etc).

John: I'm not too familiar with vBullitin... Is there a way to track a single users page visits or downloads? Or rather, a log file of it anywhere?

Every1: As always - Keep your virus definitions/applications up to date, and scan regularly.
  4. tdors

tdors New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up
  5. advancedflea

I'm as certain as I can be it was a midi file. I'd swear blind the extention was .MID That was why i posted the news bulliten
  6. advancedflea

I do have a copy quarrentined on disk. (I keep all the viruses I get on there own Floppy disk, just incase someone isn't very nice to me *evil laugh*) but there is no way I'm putting it back into the computer. worms work too fast

I checkd Norton Anti-virus 2002 logs and they reported nothing that was of any help. just the worm's actuall name. not the name of the file.

Auto-protects herucustics aren't set to high because if i do set them to high, it flys up every time I load and/or start typeing in Microsoft Word XP which is a pain considering it comes up with every key-stoke

The file was definatly a .MID file (as i have now said about 12 times)

I'm not familiar with this bulliten service my self so I don't know if there is a way to track down single useres posts, I wouldn't put much of a bet on it.

Those of you who donot know how to run "live update" on Norton anti-virus 2002/Norton systemworks 2002. Click onto the program (Norton anti-virus/system works) click "Live update" and follow the steps on-screen. but Norton anti-virus 2002 is supposed to update it's self, but it is better to do it manually especialy if you have Norton system works. For those of us who have Higher-powerd PC'S (P3 Or above) I recomed you invest in a copy of "GOBACK" by Roxio. that way your PC backs-up every time you switch it on and you need not panic if you get a virus
  7. tavenger5

umm.. :confused: no, I don't think so. The system only keeps track of polls, as far as I know. :damn:
  8. advancedflea

9. Gordo

Gordo New Member

Popup Stoppers

As far as popup stoppers go, I've just started a new one called AdsGone 2002. It makes a sound like a tennis racket hitting the ball when it intercepts a popup. So far, it's only let one through (it must have been a service ace).

I feel slightly guilty about stopping the popups, though. Aren't they bringing in money to MIDIBuddy? To what extent does MIDIBuddy rely on popups to cover its operating expenses? Not that I enjoy them. There were an awful lot when I started out on this site yesterday.
  10. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Actually, most of the popups were just removed - or rather replaced with banners!

Better?
    We can all give a nice round of applause to John (tpearl5) for that!
    :thumbsup:
  11. tavenger5

Re: Popup Stoppers

They don't generate enough to justify pissing off users. This is why I have taken them off the forum pages. (they most heavely traveled pages of the site) The publisher that runs them pays out extremely low and have been unreliable in the past. (they still owe me about $100!! :hit: ) Screw em.

I'll be adding more crap I know you don't care about to the forum pages ;) There is a link for a popup program now that, from what I've read works pretty well.
  12. advancedflea

Wow, I didn't expect you to remove thge pop-ups them selfs, i just thought people would download pop-up stopper. I applaude you tpearl! do they really owe you that much?
  13. willi001

willi001 New Member

I noticed that the pop ups had stopped,, they were a little annoying..I assumed there was money being made on them and it was the price we had to pay...Butif they owe you then no point in having them..Cheers
    Willi...
  14. advancedflea

yeah will, the popups went allmost asoon as I made my point. but i got alot of e-mail about panicware's pop-up stopper. lol
  15. dragon525

dragon525 New Member

Thanks for the advice.
  16. cobracomet

cobracomet New Member

hey, really enjoyed your thread.
  17. advancedflea

Dragon - Any time
    comet - Thanks
  18. freedom

freedom New Member