Power - An original

Discussion in 'Original Music' started by lostdave, Nov 20, 2002.

1. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Ok ....
    here goes....
    would like some feed back

MP3 zipped HERE
    The change log is getting too hard to follow now.......

I listen to the first mixes I did of this song and It has evolved greatly...with a great amount of guidance from the members of this board :D

Dave
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2002
  2. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Sheeesh......
    Cmon' guys.......do I have to beg for some criticisim here????

Dave
  3. PatGuy

PatGuy New Member

Well done! Great singing voice, whoever she is! And a nice beat to boot! The only thing you might consider is a little more variety to the music.. that is, it seems to be the same loop over and over for a while at the beginning of the song. That said, I still love it, and will listen to it often, I'm sure. :)

Pat
  4. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I'll give it a listen and commentary, Dave. I might not finish it tonight, but no need to beg :).
  5. ZelRiptha

I like the bass, nice drums.
    Is there a soft synth sequence that enters at bar 4 with the bass, or is that just an artifact of the MP3 encoding? If it's a synth or organ or something, make it a bit louder, it's drowned out. Otherwise, nevermind :).
    It may be my imagination, but it sounds to me like the solo guitar is a bit flat compared to the rest of the mix, mainly in the first solo. Also, the second solo has some growls in it that jump out of the mix (maybe intentional?).
    Good vocal mixes and harmonies, nice panning of the back-up vocals.
    Ending's a bit abrupt.
    Nice overall, though.
  6. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Thanx for the feedback guys.....

PAT and ZR,
    yes there is a Hammond in that begining bit....I sorta rushed the line..stuffed it...and couldn't bothered going back to fix it....wasn't sure If I still wanted it there...I might redo it and try it again...

The growls in the last solo (ihad a better listen to it) is clipping!!!!! ARG!!!!!!

I used a different guitar for the Main solo.....intonation on it MAY be a bit out.....

the ORIGINAL OTIGINAL version had an extra verse and a bridge..I didn't like the bridge so that got chopped....didn't like th xtra verse....that got chopped..

The singer's name is Angie....Very very good(when I can get her on a good day)

How would you envisage the ending ZR?
  7. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

OK....slightly edited version....with an accoustic in the chorus.....

Will rework the keys intro and the solo tomorrow after I have created enuf room in my studio to swing a guitar :D

Dave
  8. ZelRiptha

Ah, I thought I wasn't imagining that... :)

Hmm, what I hear on relistening is that there is a fade on the guitar and organ(?) chord that is going out nicely, when chop - the sound drops completely. I think if the chord just faded into silence (1-2 more seconds), it would be perfect. That's what I meant by abrupt. Did that make sense?
  9. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

yup....I think you will find the new version has that fixededded..
    :D

Dave
  10. ZelRiptha

Yes! Much better :).
  11. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Power gets better and better!
    I like the acoustic addition - really fills out the sound.
    The solo guitar does seem to have lost a little of its edge compaired to previous mixes.
    Also - I still can't get over the difference in the vocals since you've added the "swirlies" - excellent :thumbsup:

When's the mix with the reworked solo to be expected? Or is that pending resolution of 'the blender' problem?
  12. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I should have the blender sorted out today so I will redo the solo tonite After work(i won't use the strat this time)

I still want to use a live bass on it....but I just haven't gotten around to borrowing a Bass yet to do it with....all in good time I guess ....MIDI bass will do for now ;)

Dave
  13. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

geeez you and art are like gods i think the world need more music like this lol.
  14. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Hmmm...Thanx King.....
    Trying to get the ear of the world is half the battle..........

I think Art and I need to do some collaberation
  15. ZelRiptha

"Swirlies"? Is that the back-ups moving from side to side (nice, BTW), or did I just miss an earlier mix?
  16. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Art has been listening to this song for a bit longer than most....
    IN fact I think he probably heard one of the first mixdowns I did of this song....

As I listen to it more..I get better Idea's Production wise. The panning on the backing vocals and the echo lines was done probably about 3-4 revisions ago..so Art probably missed a cpl...or didn't notice them as much....

Dave
  17. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

BTW guys....that vocal was a one take scratch vocal..I would like her to redo it...jsut iron out some of the Glaring work done by the autotune....but again...that's another day :D

Dave
  18. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

OKIDOKI!!!!!

This is the Latest version.....
    Redid all the guitar solo's.....where there was a keys intro that is now a guitar intro

The middle solo hasn't changed alot..
    the guitar Outro...NOW...at the moment there are 2 guitar tracks...one panned left and one panned right..
    Have a listen to both of them and let me know which one sounds better.........
  19. ZelRiptha

Great live drum sound.
    Love the new guitar intro!
    First solo - great sound. No intonation problems this time.
    Second solo - good sound. I think I like the left one better, but they both serve well.

You're right that the vocal track can use some work, but it's a great first take.

I think when I'm listening to this in open air, I'm feeling overpowered by the bass and drums. It's not as noticeable in headphones. Having trouble making out lyrics this way, altering balance will probably fix that. (I think I have this problem a lot with my computer's stereo system - it may be bass heavy. Might want to verify that with someone else just in case.)

Hope this helps :).
  20. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I checked it on the Sepctrum analyser and it looks ok....nothing out of the ordinary....and sounds ok on my Refference Monitors ...the only environment I Haven't cheked it in yet is the car....

That can be tommorrow's task on the way to work ;)

Thanx for the feedback ZR

On the last guitar solo I was thinking of maybe blending the two..I will fave a fiddle with it tonite and see how I get on.

Dave