Power - An original

Discussion in 'Original Music' started by lostdave, Nov 20, 2002.

1. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Damn dialup... I'll have this soon... Can't wait to hear it!

Thanks King :thumbsup:
    Dave's the God though... I don't even have a blender... :(
    small inside joke

Dave - Did I hear someone mentioned collaborating?
    Hellova fine idea if you ask me. I'm game.
  2. besty

besty New Member

Only heard the first few bars so far but I like what I hear so far. Nice groove happening there! Looking forward to the rest of the song. I'm only on a bloody 56K connestion here. I think I better get cable!
  3. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

No worries, then, I'm thinking it's my upstairs rig - too much bass. I'll fiddle the knobs a bit so I'll quit telling everyone their bass is overpowering :eek: .

Mixing the solos could be cool, might be tough to balance so they don't jar against one another, but I like the idea.

I do really like the track overall, and my wife keeps humming it, so it must be good ;).
  4. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

It was my first attempt @ super radio friendly......and it was also the first song I wrote on guitar...usually i Write sitting @ a piano...so this is a very different work for me.

Thanx for all the feedback guys.

Dave
  5. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I have decided I Hate the sound of the drums......

they are the next thing to get changed...

Kick doesn't have enuf punch and the snare doesn't sound tight enuf.....

I hate over analysing my stuff
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Dave
  6. ZelRiptha

You da boss. I like 'em pretty well already.
  7. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I think I know how to fix it wthout redooing the whole drum thing again...........I will just gate the snare a bit get rid off that horrible SWISH I am gettin at the end....

I'm clever like that :D :D :hit:

Dave
  8. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Made somne changes.....but did the mix with headphones on due the the early hour of the morning that it was.....then listend to it in the car on teh way to work...needs some fixing...

So I will do it again hopefully with better results.

Dave

BTW if anyone has the sonar 2.1 update that they would like to share with me.......drop me a line
  9. ZelRiptha

Cool, looking forward to it! :)

Can you not D/L the 2.1 update if you already own 2.0?
  10. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

ummm...how does one answer that question tactfully........

ummm..it is only available for Registered Users of sonar.........
  11. ZelRiptha

Heh! I thought that might be the case... ;) :nono:
  12. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

It's great software........Just not US$500 great!!!!
    I would be happy to pay what it is worth........too many bugs to pay that mych....

But anyways....

Drums re-equed....guitars mixed and leveled.
    all is sounding pretty sweet..if ya ask me...but your not....that's why I am asking you guys ;)

Dave
  13. ZelRiptha

New version finished then?
  14. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

From a Mixing stand point ...YES...from a Vocal Standpoint...No.....

Still one more revision to go..but that won't be for about another week.

Dave
  15. ZelRiptha

Great, looking forward to it! :)
  16. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Okey Dokey...... My words of vacilliting wisdom....

You know its good music... or you wouldn't have gone through the trouble of getting the singer etc, etc..... Recognizing that and the talent behind the writer and singer I shall critique so long as you ignore anything I say that's unpleasant!!!

impressions.....
    > I like the funk sound of intro.....
    > Can you PM me/post the lyrics?... I can't understand some of 'em (prob my system)
    > "A" section... Tempo/rate of words does not match active rhythm guitar.... ballad meets funk? Love the melody (very Sexy!) - Love the funk.... don't love them together.... more text? Less rhythm guitar? both are essential to piece.... maybe 2 pieces are born here ***
    >2nd "intro" before repeat of "A" section... where'd that hot solo guitar go? liked that ;)
    >solo guitar - heavy distortion in lower range sounds awfully muddy..... hmmm..... Idunno.... another voice maybe better? just not as hot as intro and coda....
    > Kill the second set of "Yeah yeah's" ;), too trite
    > After the guit. solo - Almost wanna hear B then A again (my fave part) then B with a B repeat/fade out behind guitar coda .... "BBcoda" gets repetitive and my attention wanders

***lotsa thoughts here.... singer is a siren and this suits her voice well... maybe terrific when live if she's making love to the mic - but suffers in recording. Maybe double up on the text rate in the "A" section and retain slower "B" section for contrast.... Or easier to back off of guitar - but its SUCH a hook at in the intro - it was the thing I loved immediately!
  17. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Jeanie,

More Lyrics Is the Primary thing I am hearing here???Is that the Gist???

OK.....it used to go B A then we axed a verse....the song was getting too damn long..MY attention was starting to wander!!!

as for the loss of Repeat guitar solo.....welll...........I can only have so many Ideas Per song..I have to quota them out or they start sounding the same ;) at least to my ears...

The Vocals are being re-recorded this week...so I will have a play with the structure and release "power(jeanisings remix) ;)

Thanx for your ideas thoughts and suggestions......everyone else focuses on the Music but you look @ the interaction of the two...(which I admit is usually secondary for my ears....Hey ...I'm a guy....we don't listen to lyrics :D )

Dave
  18. jeaniesing

More verbal rhythm.... whether it be through more words, more layers, Something.... (I read from you that you're keeping the funk!) In A section Verbal rhythm is very slow - instrumental is cookin'.... if that's what you want it needs to be contrasted/balanced out somewhere else - or it just feels slow paced

Understandable.... IF you go BAB after the solo - maybe layer the guitar and vocalist right through the coda.... fade out singer. (Then again, your attention won't wander if you beef up verbal rhythm ;)) If you stick to B's Make it BB instead of BBB in the vocal line?

New idea here..... make vocal line in A section call and response with guitar?? I know, I know.... more solo work! 6 beats after each vocal phrase..... pick up on the and of 4 after vocal line and fill for 1 measure to the downbeat of measure where vocal line comes in....

Okay - keep it simple..... hit a Bflat around 1:27 and slide to a G around 1:31ish before singer comes in ;) effects will make it even juicier

I still would like to see a copy of the lyrics.... even if you DON'T listen to them, you being testosterone driven and all ;)
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2002
  19. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I shall dig 'em up and zap them over to you ;)

Dave
  20. jeaniesing

thanks...... and I'm doubting my "new idea" from above.... too much guitar now that I listen with the extra guitar parts running in my head..... but You're the master ;)