Premium MB Membership

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by tavenger5, Jun 9, 2003.

1. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

The super mods would. I would give the regular mods certain things uplon request.

I'm just an affiliate. I've talked to them briefly about 'coupons' I could offer prem members.
  2. tavenger5

There's a couple different options I'm going to offer. I haven't decided weather I'm going to use paypal or not. I heard there was a lot of security holes. Regular credit will be an option though. And I suppose money order or check for people that don't have a card.
  3. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

and..... (not that its intrusive... but if you're looking for selling points) eliminating banner ads from preemies and making them more vicious otherwise??? ;) Dear God.... did I just say that??
  4. tavenger5

A possibility. It would be very limited popups if anything. There's some very negative things concerning popups and then paying for no popups.. eek.:hit:
  5. tavenger5

anyone else?
  6. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

I think offering premium membership is a great idea :thumbsup:
    I've been thinking about some new 'thing' somewhere between a Member and a MOD, so people can gain new cosmic powers a little here/a little there - aside from waiting for a staff position to open. This could be just the thing.

Awarding a member a position on the staff (assuming they even want all the responsability and extra work in trade for new features and abilities) has been the 'reward' for great contribution on the boards - and that has worked.
    We have a fairly large staff now, and several well-established members that I feel are reeeeally contributing to the boards. I'd love to give them a little more, but we don't really need another 10 MODS.

Premium memberships would be nice, because people that buy them would be serious board members to begin with, they will get several great benifits without the added workload that comes with being a MOD/SUPERMOD/ADMIN. I'm sure there are lots of people that want to give something back to the boards, but can't afford the time.

Premium memberships would improve things for everyone here...
    With the extra money generated from this, we could afford faster/ bigger/better server space, (possibly) fewer popups and maybe even afford to pay for more custom scripting to add new and exciting features... There is a lot that could be done.
    Better servers would translate to faster access, more (premium) webspace (75 or 100mb), maybe more forums - or another affiliated board that deals with original mp3s...
    Everyone's happier - plus the people that pay for it will have great features that are worth the money.

Webspace - I think the different 'levels' are a good idea. 25/75/100 with ftp access (maybe), email, etc... Great idea. It's value added.. More space/features will cost a little more.

Hitrax discounts or coupons - Awesome idea if it can be done easily. After all, many professional musos are using this site, and if the membership could help pay for itself by getting you discounted midis, what the hell!

Special forum access (self sequenced, etc) for premium members, reduced pop-up adds, deleting and editing own posts... Great features, and there are a million additional possibilities here!

As for the difference in MOD powers and premium member features...
    Premium members have some of the same powers as MODs do in forums they are NOT MODERATING. In a MODS assigned forums, they can delete/move/edit other members posts, and several other things that premium members wouldn't be able to do.
    So the premium membership will not distract anything from the MODS. The MODS will still get more power simply because they are paying for it with their time and effort, and they need it to get the job done.
  7. theARTiSAN

The price scheme you have seems good John.
    It's not that anyone really needs email or webspace anymore these days... Me personally, I have about 50 some odd email addresses (free) and about 6 free websites (that I use to store backups of different personal files)... I also pay for webspace to get 2gb space and unlimited bandwidth. But, in addition to (possibly) discounted MIDIs and other gift certificates that I can use, more access to midi forums, discounts on buying files and maybe even the MIDIHUB, THAT would make it into something more valuable.
    Maybe something like this:

PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP
    1 year: $38
    6 months: $20
    Month: $4

Includes:
    • MIDIBuddy/Degster.com e-mail
    • 10mb of web space and photo gallery
    • 2,500 MB cash a month
    • Hitrax coupons/Gift certs (if workable)
    • MIDIRingTones coupons/Gift certs (if workable)
    • Premium member icon
    • Added board features: Move/delete own threads, Images in signatures, Custom avatars, Bypass file Approval in new file forum, access to special forums (self-sequenced, etc).

Then, on top of that, for a little bit more they might get extras like:
    • 50/75/100mb webspace
    • FTP access (instead of web-based) for upload.
    • Email aliases, auto-responders and signatures.
    • Maybe more mailbox space and larger attachments (contingent on server email application...)
    • MIDIHUB 'VIP' Membership (the HUB has been a little scarce on traffic lately... We need more always-on connections)
    I think this is a great idea... If I weren't a staff member already, I would pay for premium membership with as much as I download from here every month.

**We could always hold a poll to see how much $ members would be willing to pay for something like this...
  8. tavenger5

Cool ideas Art :thumbsup:

Maybe there could be coupons for the feature store too. I just thought of that cause I'm cool. :cool:
  9. eatmydave

eatmydave New Member

i think its a great idea, i would definately pay for this!
  10. theARTiSAN

The question is...

I would pay for this too (if I weren't on the staff) ;).
    The question is, how much would you pay?

John - :thumbsup: It's a sweet idea!
    and I like the feature store coupon idea too :D
  11. PENNY16161

PENNY16161 New Member

I'm not sure how successful this premium membership is going to be. Like everyone else has said, the e-mail and web space is kind of useless because everyone already has an e-mail address, and those who want webspace can easily get it for free elsewhere. I've been on here since the winter, and I still have yet to spend any MB $s. An italicized or highlighted name, or having a picture in my signature or under my name is not worth paying any money. Really doesn't benefit me in any way.

Gift certificates to HitTrax is interesting, but my guess would be that if someone wanted to get something there, it would be just one song that they really want in midi form. And how often does that happen? Twice a year at most, since they can often find the songs they're looking for for free with a little web search. And if they're just dying for a professional midi of those two songs, it would be cheaper to just buy it straight from HitTrax for the 5-10 bucks each that they charge than the pay the nearly 40 bucks for a year membership with who knows how much money in gift certs.

As for special forums, it seems to me that if someone self-sequences something, or creates their own mp3, or any other kind of self-made work, and they want to share it online, they'd want as many people to enjoy it as possible. Why limit that to the few that are willing to pay to get them? Personally, I felt that the self-sequenced forum was the best forum on here, but I certainly wouldn't pay to have access to it.

Finally, it seems to me that the people most interested in paying for these features are those that don't have to; that is, those that are already part of the staff. I don't know how many members there are on here, but it would seem to me that most of them are the casual midi browser, not ones who frequent the site multiple times a day, or even daily for that matter. But in that case, the casual midi browser is not going to be paying for access to something they will use minimally.

I hope that was readable. I'm pretty tired, so it might not make sense. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, etc.
  12. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

Well i think the idea behind the self sequenced is for the premium members to be allowed to post rather than normal users, that's one of the reasons why the forum was closed in the first place because people used copyrighted files and said it was their own.
  13. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

You know what, I dont think I like the idea of the Self-Sequenced being available only to paying members.

Some of my own work is in there(along with all the other members) which I gave for free and now you want to take it and keep it and and use it as a selling point?

Isnt that just as bad as claiming a copyrighted midi as your own?
  14. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

That a good point , But you know that MP3 dot com has the same problem. and uses will pay up to $25.00 a month. Only thye have a the paper work for to fill out if your going to use other poeple work. and then again you pay. This hole issue of copyright is so gary at times. I think aas long as you don't sell the song, or perfrom it for money, thats ok. but posting a self sequenced MIDI is one of those gray places no-one likes to tread. I would be will to pay, but for a lot more space.
    You mite also want to point out that the user gets space on the board too. This is one of the best MIDI sites on the net, and i come here to share my MIDI's, more than anything else. Good luck with your endevors.
    M.O.T.E.
  15. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

"I'm not sure how successful this premium membership is going to be. Like everyone else has said, the e-mail and web space is kind of useless because everyone already has an e-mail address, and those who want webspace can easily get it for free elsewhere"
    The Advanage is that this web site has over 200 uses a day at differant times, thats a lot of hits. I would use all my other sites just for the space, but focus my efforts here. So I think your statement void of experance. And runing any web site is very time consuming. Making this a home base would be better.
  16. tavenger5

Yeh, I guess some of that depends on 'status' and what you want out of the site. It's constantly growing and has doubles in size every month!

You'd be amazed how many people buy files on a professional level. I have one guy that buys them in bulk. This month he got about 50 in one shot! (when you buy more you get more free and each one is less) If this gift cirt were possible it would benefit people that buy a lot of files.

Copyright issues. I don't know what will become of that forum. It's still there, just not active. It was suggested by someone that prem. members should be able to use it.

It varies widely in what people want out of the site. There's alsmot 20,000 registered. I just did a check and there's been over 3,000 active members this month. Those numbers continue to grow. Yeh, most of them are the casual midi browser, but the prem membership will be an option for those users that don't want to be part of staff but still want to 'give back' in a way. I don't expect 100's of people to flock towards this membership. If there is.. well, maybe I can actually pay my staff! hehe.. ;)

Thanks for your input. Yeh, it's understandable, and I'm pretty tired myself.
  17. tavenger5

Yeh, I know what you mean. This is still up in the air.

Like King said. The idea of only prem members and staff being able to post in this forum may be good. This way it wouldn't be too cluttered and only really good self sequenced files would be in the forums. It would also be easier to maintain.

There will be seperate forums that are for prem members only though. Just like there are staff only forums.
  18. TankGirl

TankGirl New Member

I thinkg mote has a good point. its better ot poat here.
  19. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

And staff could post on behalf of others?
  20. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

How about some better fonts

Attached Files: