Probem with midi conversion

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by ungshunjin, Nov 28, 2003.

1. ungshunjin

ungshunjin New Member

Oh no!!!I have this problem with making the midi!!!This song is made by my former company.And now i wanna make it polyphonic!!Midi!!Can someone pls help me in doing it??The mp3 file is at the link!Name of song is Power Of One

Get the mp3 file @ http://members.lycos.co.uk/ungshunj... Of One.zip

Copy n Paste URL to d/l mp3 file
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

There is nothing around which will convert a polyphonic audio file to the equivalent midi. Basically, it's an impossible task and you should not waste your time trying to do it.
  3. glennsi

glennsi New Member

i agree but dont lose hope yet
  4. ijean1812

ijean1812 New Member

I think...

maybe you could use only piano or guitar to make it but I'm not very sure.
  5. ungshunjin

ungshunjin New Member

Nononono....u all got it wrong!!!I dun wanna make poly to midi.....i wanna make this song midi!!!not a poly tone
  6. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Maybe if you had couched the original question in understandable English, we might better understand what it is you want to do.

I tried to download the file, but got a report that it didn't exist - so that wasn't a very good start. Then I went to the root page, only to find the website is 'under construction' - failed again!

So, all we have left with are the clues in your original post. You say the original file is in MP3 format and you want to convert this to a midi file. The implication is that it is a mixed track, i.e. several instruments, a vocal, etc. - or, to put it another way, it is polyphonic. This brings me full circle to my original reply - there is no software available to convert a polyphonic audio file to midi, for all sorts of reasons, it's technologically impossible to do.

If the file were monophonic. i.e. a single instrument, playing single notes (for example, a saxophone) then you might be in with a fighting chance, but the moment there is more than one note sounding at a time, all bets are off.

What I don't understand is why there are so many people, on this board and elsewhere, who are trying to convert audio to midi? The whole object of midi is to go the other way.

One uses a midi sequencer to construct a tune and then, using suitable software and/or hardware, render that to an audio file. Going from audio to midi means that you lose all the original sounds as intended and produced by the originator of the piece.
  7. ungshunjin

ungshunjin New Member

OOhh...icic.Heeheehee.I jus wanna make this song into a midi ringtone.I love this song so much,dats why.And i am not capable of making it....sob sob.Then i ask for help.This is already my last resort...SADNESS
  8. ungshunjin

ungshunjin New Member

9. Graeme

Graeme New Member

My use of midi is confined to writing and/or arranging music, so I can't help you with ring tones - I know nothing about them.

Maybe someone else can tell you how to do that (although what I said about polyphonic music still holds, you can't convert that to midi).