Professional Midi files via midibuddy

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by adamc260, Dec 7, 2003.

1. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

$10.00 for a midi file, now that is a bit steep, a real song costs 1/3 of that... tone down the price who ever made it up!
  2. cellhappy

cellhappy New Member

no, that's alright, same thing with downloading attachments here is 25$mb cash ->lots of people just submit trash to get money in order to be able to download stuff. great idea!?
  3. Zandro

Zandro New Member

He was referring to the Hittrax Database, a partner of MIDIBuddy. Those actually do cost ten dollars. o..0
  4. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

that is a foolish price, who would pay that, i swear!!!
  5. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

MIDIBuddy has no control over the price of these files. HitTrax is the distributor. Royalities must be paid to the copyright holders, the file sequencers, and HitTrax themselves. They're a lot of things that go into the equation.

If you read further you will see that as you buy more files the price goes down per file and you receive free files. For example if you buy 4 files the price per file is $9 and you get one free. There are also reward points that will get you a 20% discount after 300 points are accumulated.

I won't go into detail, but many professionals use these files for backing track purchases. You may think that no one would ever buy 50 midi files, but they do.
  6. drwatson1

drwatson1 New Member

can i ask who actually puts the price on them? the sequencer or the website?
  7. cellhappy

cellhappy New Member

why buy, if you can get them for free??
  8. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Exactly why most of the popular files int he HitTrax database are not available on this site.
  9. nienie

nienie New Member

There are more and more websites on the Internet where you have to pay for the MIDI sites. The reason is that the record company from the artist still owns the copyrights for the song, so sharing MIDI files is just as illegal as sharing MP3. A MIDI store has to pay the record company for selling their music. Besides, the MIDI's has to be professionally created, which is a lot of work.
  10. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

hmmmm

but why should they be $10 that's £16.60 ruffley, we pay about £4 for a Music Single in the United Kingdom... That's a rediculous price though. And to be honest, they don't sound that professional. Anyone know where i can buy and preview a profesional version of "Stacie Orrico - (There's Gotta Be) More To Life"

Thanks in advance
  11. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Have you ever de-constructed a recorded track and then produced a midi file from it? If you have, then I doubt if you would be making this comment. It can take - literally - hours of work.

For what's involved, I'd say $10 was a bargain.
  12. muhunk

muhunk New Member

that's so true!
  13. muhunk

muhunk New Member

i is not payin' for tha music
  14. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

yes admintingly they are complex, but a real song, a decent quality thing with real words etc costs so much less than that, why do they charge so much, if it was $5 it would be worth it, $10 is a bit stupid!!!
  15. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Consider the use to which they're put. Most professional files are bought by *musicians* for use as part of a live music set. If you're just hot to listen to MIDI files, yeah, $10 might seem a lot. But for something you can use to put food on the table...
  16. Zandro

Zandro New Member

That is one reason many of them are called backing tracks... They are fill-ins for live performances.
  17. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

they really use them for backing tracks, i thought in live performaces they use the band, or they use the real song, with the words taken out, or put down quiet!
  18. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. The original artist would not be likely to use midi files as a backing track, more likely an audio recording - probably put together at much the same time as the original complete recording was made.

The very nature of midi makes it a poor substitute as a transmission medium. Since the quality of the audio (and the actual sounds themselves) is highly dependent on the equipment used to play it on, the same file will sound totally different to everyone who plays it. So, following on from that, the people who buy midi files do not buy them to listen to the latest hits they heard on the radio - ther buy the record, that way it sounds exactly the same as they've already heard.

However, there must be thousands of singers, guitarists, keyboard players and what-have-you, who are working the pubs, clubs and other venues who use midi for the back tracks. I suspect that's where most of the market for professionally produced midi files lies.

Many of these musicians could probably make their own - and I know some who do just that - but the time taken is out of all proportion to the cost of buying one for the $10 odd figure we're talking about here.

Which would you prefer to do, spend several hours of your spare time putting together a midi file for a backtrack, or buy it ready-made for a few bucks and tweak it to suit your performance? Seems a no-brainer to me.

It also seems to me there are many people on this site who really have little or no idea of what midi is really supposed to be about. They appear to be under the highly erroneous impression that midi is equatable with formats such as .wav, .MP3, .ra, etc. - this is simply not the case at all. Midi is a means of storing parameters about a performance - it is not a means of recording and playing music in an immutable form.
  19. jazzcat

jazzcat New Member

I am a performer who uses MIDI sequences for live performance, and you are right. Most folks don't understand why someone would buy a MIDI file. Someone mentioned it taking a few hours to create a file? That's being pretty darned conservative, if the file is of any quality at all. Sure there are programs like Band-In-A-Box that can help you create a MIDI faster, but you still spend hours tweaking a Band-In-A-Box created file, and if you don't have years of sequencing experience under your belt your MIDI still probably sounds like cr@p.

As for having to constantly buy files? Not gonna happen, and here's why:

Just to start working you have to buy your equipment, and everyone knows that decent P.A. systems, keyboards, mics, etc. are NOT cheap!!! Let's not forget that fancy female vocalist wardrobe you have to have. But for this analogy we're not even going to consider those costs.

You need an absolute minimum base of 50 songs to do a 5 hour gig. Buy your MIDI files at 8 to 12 bucks a pop, depending on the company. Not a bad price for a working professional you say? Read on MacDuff.

50 x 10 bucks= $500.00. (and let's not forget sales tax on top of that.) KA-CHING!!! Now, you can't keep doing the same old songs night after night or you won't keep that precious weekend gig. So, you have to learn new material. You buy a CD at $14 + bucks a pop to learn a new song. There's only one song on the CD you need to learn, so, one song costs you 14 bucks, One MIDI file, 10 bucks. It just cost you 24 bucks to be able to perform one song. OK, so I'm gonna learn 10 new tunes each month. 10 x $24= $240.00. KA-CHING!! No wait, most of the sites I bought my MIDIs at don't have demo files so I took a chance and bought the file anyway. Out of the 10 files I bought 3 of them are so bad I won't insult myself, or my audience by performing with them. I just spent 30 bucks on garbage, and I can't get my money back!!!!

Well gee, I only average $75 a night. No, wait. Uncle Sam keeps $15 of that, because no one pays under the table any more, so I'm lucky to bring home 60 bucks a night. In a weekend I have 120 bucks in my pocket. 4 weekends in a month x $120 = $480.

$480 - $240 for new material = a profit of $240 for the month.

Oops! My PA broke! In the shop for repairs. KA-CHING!! Gas money to get to the gig KA-CHING! Promo packs for marketing to get a better gig. KA-CHING! KA-CHING!! KA-CHING!!!

Welcome to the real world of the working musician. Costs go up, pay stays the same or goes down, and the gigs are harder and harder to find, thanks to DJs, Karaoke, and the demise of the power of the Musicians Union.

And people wonder why we are called starving artists and why we tend toward trading and sharing CDs and MIDIs.

On another note. My preference is jazz vocals. Even the pro sequencing companies carry very few of them and many of the arrangements are so bad they are not useable.
    Cat >^..^<
  20. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi,

If people didn't copy midifiles, prices would definately go down.

The difference with the original recording (price difference I mean) is that record companies are still able to sell thousands of their songs. This is not the case with midifiles. So it's not that difficult to understand that midifiles are more expensive. The day we (and I think this also goes for Hittrax) are able to sell thousands of every song in our catalogue, we will also be able to sell for less a copy.

Kind regards,
    Alain
    MidiDesign
    www.mididesign.be