Professional Recording Quality

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by JonPaulP, Aug 23, 2002.

1. JonPaulP

JonPaulP New Member

Hey...does anyone know what is a good microphone to use when recording singing. I want to use a midid as a background, and want it to have a cd quality.

- JP
  2. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

i would use a large diaphram Condenser mic.

somthining like a SMPRO MC-01(or any other varient of this for that matter)
    you will need to be able to pump phantom power to this mike

Dave
  3. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

I just finished an album, used a rhode nt1 for vocals and accoustic guitar. I started using midi as backing, but in the end the drums were the only computer bit. To get cd quality, check out compression for the final product, it really brings everything out if you do it right. There's a lot of other things you could do to it, but, if it's for yourself, or a demo, best to keep it simple
  4. jonnycraig

jonnycraig New Member

I would definately go with the Rode NT1, I also used a C3000s which was more suited for recording acoustic guitar...
  5. tommy

tommy New Member

Sure

I use Sure sm58. Seems to work good for live performance and recording. It is around $100 and is standard in the industry. Uses low impedence line though, so you need mixer.
  6. Everest2002

Everest2002 New Member

Hello

i use often sennheise micros or AKG

i like more the AKG because this microphones sound more clear than the other!!
  7. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

Everyone's voice is obviously a bit different, for recording, try to get a mike that suits your voice. If you have a low voice, go for something that boosts the higher register, vica versa for high voice. don't forget to use a stocking in front of the mike. It stops your p's and t's, etc from getting poppy in the recording.
    oh, one more thing, if you want a good even sound in the finished product, check out compression, if you haven't already done so. Even 2:1 compression will even out your vocals a bit :)
  8. AaV

AaV New Member

There are a lot of good mics out there and a lot of opinions as to which are the best. Personally, I use AkG and Sure mics. It is one area, sadly, where you get what you pay for. My suggestion is to study the specs on a lot of them, and buy the best you can afford.
    AaV
  9. AjA

AjA New Member

depends on your buget, I use a Nueman M149, through a Focusright voicetrack, but I know people who use cheap mics and get a great sound.
  10. letsmix

letsmix New Member

Pick up a used RE-20 Electrovoice. It's a dynamic hypercardioid with good proximity effect that sounds like a condenser, and no phantom powering is needed. You'll spend about $200, and if you have a typical male voice, this favorite of Stevie Wonder's will bring you CD quality vocals on a budget. It's also one of the more rugged mics around, just in case you're a bit clumsy. I've tracked mine through API and Neve preamps and folks have mistaken it for a megabucks vintage tube mic.
  11. Stimpf

Stimpf New Member

@JonPaulP:
    You really need to tell, how much you want to spend on this! The verry mest mics are more than a car!
  12. beaster

beaster New Member

I just ordered a Samson C01. I read some reviews and for the price it is supposed to be a great condenser mic. I also oredered an AudioTech AT-3035. Also supposed to be great.
  13. headbuser87

headbuser87 New Member

i use a computer mic with a pop stopper but i stnd back fromthe mic and it sound s quality
  14. renstar

renstar New Member

Rhodes is the best for dollar value if it's available where you are. Have used it myself. Amazing quality. NB. use a soundproof room as it's very sensitive
  15. Jobu

Jobu New Member

"Professional Recording Quality"?

well your going to need a lot more than a quality microphone. You will need a great mic-pre, Professional level compression, Professional level recording hardware, a good recording enviroment/room and lots of experience recording professional quality music.
  16. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

just remember; u can go overboard with mics, a mic is a mic..
  17. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

You can pay a lot of money for mics but on a sensible budget and because I have used a lot of mics over the years for vocals, guitars and drums (even in my Drama Group for group singing) and without a doubt the best is a Shure sm58. For all around work it copes with and produces the best range.
  18. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Take care of your mics. Don't swing them around!
  19. JonPaulP

JonPaulP New Member

Is the MarshallMXL2001 any good? Also what software do you guys use for mixing the tracks??:rolleyes:
  20. pfrench13

pfrench13 New Member

I love my Shure SM58. It works perfectly for me. I have been looking at the Shure 55-sh, at first purely for aesthetics, but after hearing one, I was in love with it!