Programs for composing midi songs?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by Farminater, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Farminater

Farminater New Member

I'm pretty new to this. Ive used Guitar Pro 3 (prolly because its the easiest for me to deal with). Any suggestions on a free program that i could use being new to the whole scene?
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

3. Farminater

Farminater New Member

4. chopin60620

chopin60620 New Member

noteworth composer is good
  5. korger1

korger1 New Member

man pay some moneyt and start using logic audio or cubase trust me.
  6. Graeme

Graeme New Member

That's very serious money for a beginner. While I'm not decrying these, or similar, applications, I think you need to be a fair way along the learning (and need) curve before shelling out that sort of dosh.
  7. themidigooru

themidigooru New Member

MAN ANVILS AWSOME! TRY EXTENDING NOTES SO IT SOUNDS MORE REAL. ITS AWSOME
  8. salty dog

salty dog New Member

cubase,fruity,etc...it's all the emperor's new clothes...i've just switched from hardware to software,and i say stick with the free ones (or get the expensive ones for free from kazaa or grokster) because THEY ALL **** ***.the only differences between any of them are effects and synths/vsts and NONE of them are worth spending money on...when they make one with a good or even USABLE midi setup,then shell out the bling.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2004
  9. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Well - that's alright then. Now we know for a fact that CuBase, Sonar, Logic and a number of other high-end midi softwares are nothing more than a crock of crap........ one wonders how the software houses concerned manage to sell such expensive software and make a living out of it.

You're entitled to your opinion, but anyone who actually uses these things (and understands their higher functions and features) is not very likely to agree with you.
  10. salty dog

salty dog New Member

they're fine for what they do,but you're confusing price with quality...sampling,sound design? love em...but for actually WRITING music they are (like 90% of all pc software) back***wards and convoluted in many key areas...doing gtr/bass/dr "normal music" is actually a million times easier on a pc than with hardware,but if you make complex tracks in long arrangements with midi (as in->electronic music),the best set up is a hardware sequencer triggering one of these programs (or more if possible) like a sampler...if i had a monitor the size of a coffee table,i'd be better off with the pc,but i work/improv FAST and i don't have time to switch screens and do mouse stuff and tweak and mix and etc.

i just like to SEE what i'm doing and FEEL a physical connection with it...any doubts about my PERSONAL outlook's merit (remembering it is just my OPINION based on 8 or 9 years making electronic music) can be confirmed by a good listen to 80% of the electronic "music" out right now...i hear a lot of great producers but only a few great MUSICIANS...

if people want advice,they'll take what they like
  11. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Mind your language. This is not a free-for-all board, and you must follow the rules if you intend to remain here.
  12. wingdonger

wingdonger New Member

good file that
    dan
  13. Graeme

Graeme New Member

No I'm not. I'm equating price with feature set. These high-end softwares are absolutely stuffed full of things which the cheaper ones don't have (and never will). That's why they are on the market and people buy them.

I agree, they are totally unnecessary for simply recording midi tracks (or even audio ones). Their strength lies in what they can do in terms of post-processing and mixdown.

Having used both hardware and software recording systems, I actually prefer the hardware ones, by a large margin. However, one has to consider the cost and most home users are really in a one-horse race, where software will win every time.
  14. draccon

draccon New Member

no sorry can`t help
  15. salty dog

salty dog New Member

that's what i was saying to begin with...he said "guitar pro 3",so i assume he's either using guitar with midi backup or recording his band to a harddrive,either of which can be done with an under $100 program...i've used just about every non-protools program and (other than nuendo) i usually end up using the cheaper ones...and even considering the ease of use i get from nuendo, the difference in sound is neglgible and NOTHING about justifies the insanity of the pricetag ($1400,i think?)...i'm just saying-ignore the hype until you've tried as many as possible and that no one has come out with a good midi setup within a good audio program (at least one that non-yuppies can afford.)

nowTHAT's profane.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2004