Question about ISO

Discussion in 'Computers' started by azn310, May 27, 2004.

1. azn310

azn310 New Member

Can you guys please explain me wat ISO is, and what is it used for ?? How do u kno if some files are under the name of .. ISO ??
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

ISO is essentially an exact copy of a compact disc's information. ISO is created for when one needs to copy data to several CDs in a short time, and is created and viewed with a variety of programs.
  3. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

In general terms, an ISO file is an "image" of a CD. Basically, the raw data of a CD is pulled and dumped into a single file, maybe compressed (the entire contents of a CD stored on 1 file). WinRAR and WinISO can read the file. Nero and similar package can burn it back onto a CD-R. the whole contents of a CD stored in 1 file. This kind of storage is created to make sure there will be no buffer-under runs while writing. When you copy a CD, the contents of a CD will first be stored on your hard disk. (the ISO or "image" file) When the reading process is done, the CD will be burned on a cdr(w), reading it from the image file on your hard disk. But this way of storage is the perfect way to trade cd's using the internet: Simply create an image file, compress it in different volumes and let others download it. Just check the extension to see if it ends in .iso. Hope this helps... assuming we aren't discussing government standardization, insurance or photography...
  4. Sentertainme

Sentertainme New Member

Oooh, this reminds me...I found the perfect ISO conversion tools...
    it's called MagicISO, look it up

It can actually convert BIN to ISO!!!

I use that and VirtualDrive to manage my ISO files! :)

(Along with a few other stuff)
  5. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I found a demo of Virtual CD a while back from a German company. The program was superb! Fast and easy to use, it created images of CDs to be saved using its own customisable compression algorithms. The really great thing they have done is that the images were loadable to its virtual drive, maintaining its compressed form! Twice as many CD images could be stored one one disk! I was mourning gravely when the demo expired.
    t i h s p g a r o r m f o r m l s a t I k e n w i s c l e m o t l e p y u k a b n c l a r c e