Question about soundcards with MIDIS...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by Schizophonic, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Schizophonic

Schizophonic New Member

My computer uses the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth to play back midi files. Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth is alright but I want something better, much better. I want the midis to sound as good as the mp3s/waves. I want the instruments to sound very realistic. Is there actually a synthesizer out there that's that good my description?? I'd prefer something downloadable. can anybody help please?!
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Use SoundFont with the freeware utility Synthfont from http://www.synthfont.com/ . It is recommended, however, that you get a real EMU-10Kx engine, which is built in to the Sound Blaster Live! and Audigy audio card series.

Sound Blaster Live! retails for 30-60$ USD, but only statically loads samples on to its on-board 32MB memory chip. To dynamically load samples to computer memory instead of SBLive!'s memory, download and use Megafont. Sound Blaster Audigy can load up to 150MB of SoundFont cache, depending on how much computer memory is available. SBAudigy retails for 75-225$ depending on what model you may plan to purchase. Also, Frank Wen's Fluid SoundFont (140MB) is the highest quality available for free, which can be downloaded from a link on his homepage... http://www.fluidfonts.com/

Recommended GM SoundFont banks in order of size:
    GeneralUser GS v1.35
    Unison 24MB
    sYnerGi 200LE*
    Reality
    Utopia Live*
    Cadenza
    sYnerGi GS*
    Hubbe 64
    Magic SF
    Melting Pot
    All In One
    Real Font
    ZX128 XR5
    SGM128 v1.20
    Crisis v1.8 250 MB

*Must be purchased

If you need any GM patches custom compiled or have more questions, you can contact me here, or through the e-mail link located near the bottom of my post.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2003
  3. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I've been very happy with the S-YXG50 Soft Synth from Yamaha. It does the same as my old DB50XG and more. You can download a 30-day trial version here. It is totally implemented in software, so all you need is a good audio card (which you already have if you can hear the old MS GS WT). Give it a try, you've got nothing to lose but time. :)
  4. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Thanks for the links Zandro. Have been looking for some new sounds for my S/B Live and then figuring out how to load the best ones!
  5. kirsti-chew

kirsti-chew Guest

more confusin computer talk!
  6. js3kgt

js3kgt New Member

either upgrading your soundcard or the sound fonts is the best way to get your midi files to sound great... the audigy from soundblaster I think is the best... esp. with the front panel for the remote control and digital optical inputs if you use something like that.
  7. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Yeah, I do not see many devices that currently support optic fiber input.
  8. Bricummo

Bricummo New Member

The Yamaha XG50 is great!
    There are also a load of softsynths by a company called PLUGSOUND. They do six different VSTis,
    Global GM module
    Pianos,Eps, organs and clavs
    Synths
    Fretted
    Drums
    and R'n'B grooves and loops
    They are all easy to use and sound pretty good, also look out for another called Hypersonic, its meant to be amazing!

Cheers
  9. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

I use Hypersonic 2 now. But I use it with XP and not Vista. I tried to make it work with Vista, but have had problems getting things running. If you have XP and can get Hypersonic 2, it's pretty cool.
  10. D.unliz

D.unliz New Member

Question about soundcards with MIDIS

Hi all Acai promoters

Im wondering whats better - is it better to push free trials or it is better to actually get paid like 30-40 commission on the sales you make?

What worked best for you and in your opinion, why?
  11. Novetype73

Novetype73 New Member

Question about soundcards with MIDIS

Ive tested both and definitely got the best ROI on free trials. Thats with PPC, but i guess it all comes down to your source
  12. Gridzheh9

Gridzheh9 New Member

I personally use a Kore2 sythesizer by Native instruments but there is some work involved. Midi files need to be broken down into several single songs one for each instrument channel. But the sound and control you get is unserpassed in my Opinion. I use the freeware program "anvil studio" to convert standard midi files into the many song tracks the Kore2 uses.