Questions about copyrighting music...

Discussion in 'Original Music' started by BlackHawk, May 30, 2003.

1. BlackHawk

BlackHawk New Member

I want to copyright my music, but I don't have the money to get it officially registered. Therefore, I'm going to do it the "Poor Man's" way and send my music to myself via recorded delivery.

My questions are: Do you have to put every composition on a separate CD, or can you just lump all your compositions onto one CD and copyright the whole lot in one go?

Also, how would you go about organising your copyrighted music collection in case you had to dig one or two bits of it out in a court room? I'm a little bit disorganised, you see, so any help I can get with regards to organising myself will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

I'm pretty sure you can put everything on one CD. But hell, you can copyright a whole CD for $15. You can do every song seperately, but that would obviously cost a lot more. It would be much easier just copyrighting everything the right way. If you ever do have to go to court it would hold up a lot better then the mail trick.
  3. BlackHawk

BlackHawk New Member

Copyrighting everything the way you say would be ideal, yes, if I were in the USA... but as it happens, I'm in the UK, where it could be a totally different cost and procedure to the one you are used to.

I've heard copyright security is pretty expensive here in the UK. Guess I just have to keep scouting, then.
  4. morganm

morganm New Member

I think the mailing provides decent protection, but you might also look here, it looks like the do a copyright service.

http://www.songwriter.co.uk/