REAL AUDIO to MIDI???

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by immortal636, Dec 1, 2003.

1. immortal636

immortal636 New Member

is there any way to do this???
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

If it's polyphonic music - no.
  3. Zandro

Zandro New Member

That is a definite negative.
  4. siren_7777

siren_7777 New Member

if that real audio is a monophonic, you should convert it to wav first. if it's a polyphonic, i think it's impossible
  5. chess_yang

chess_yang New Member

don't think so eather..........
  6. savinallmylu

savinallmylu New Member

there are a few apps i think that can attempt it?

celemony? might make something although i'm not sure how well they work.
  7. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Do not waste your time or money. Trust the people who already have wasted both and ask that you do not waste your time or money.
  8. Graeme

Graeme New Member

There are NO apps which can do this with a polyphonic file. It is technically impossible.

You obviously know nothing about Celemony's Melodyne. This is an audio application which can do wonderful things to monophonic audio (at a wonderfully high price, even the cheap version is 395 euros) but it knows nothing about midi and certainly cannot translate polyphonic audio into midi. From their own website;

"Melodyne is a programme that allows a completely new approach to the handling of audio material. It analyzes the pitch and time of monophonic audio files (from, for example, singers, wind or string instruments) and offers the opportunity to change whole melodies in a way only previously possible at MIDI-Level."
  9. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I've wasted neither - an understanding of the basic physics is all one needs to know it can't be done ;)
  10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I did not really waste any money... I ..patched the trial programs to prove my theory. That was back when I knew about as much as the people who ask these questions.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  11. HElander

HElander New Member

don't think it'll work !
  12. nienie

nienie New Member

Real Audio allows you to listen (or watch) multimedia files, the files are linked to the webserver where the real multimedia file is located. The RAM only gives you the opportunity to listen and buffer the song online. That's how it differs from a WAV-file and while the WAV-file contains frequencies yet, the RAM does not.

Monophonical WAV-files can be converted to MIDI, though the result isn't very good, polyphonical WAV is hardly impossible, RAM is too ridiculous to think about it.
  13. linkin1

linkin1 New Member

The only thing you can accomplish by trying is waisting time on a boring day
  14. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Nonsense! RA is primarily intended as a streaming format, but it is possible to capture the whole stream and listen to it, offline, at a later date - there's several softwares around which make this possible. Apart from a reduction in audio quality, due to the narrow bandwidth available and the necessary compression techniques required to squeeze the audio into that bandwith, there is no fundamental difference between the two.

Polyphonic files can not be converted into midi. However, this has nothing to do with RAM, just a difficulty on your part to understand the physics of what is involved. Take my word for it, it is impossible!
  15. winkel

winkel New Member

it it is an mix of instruments you can forget.
    there is a program to get a drumtrack converted into midi (stereo)
    or you can take a file with singlenotes (mono).
    but there is no way to convert an audio-mix to midi.
  16. InhaLer

InhaLer New Member

How about mmf

If you can settle for mmf, and not mid there is a way to acheive it.
    Simply convert your REAL AUDIO file to wav, and then to mmf 16 Chord using 8Khz wav. The quality will be degraded :( but you will have it in mmf.