Reason (Sample)

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by eyez0nme, Mar 4, 2005.

1. eyez0nme

eyez0nme New Member

yo, im new to this forum. I use Reason 2.5 and I'm just tryin to find a way to use old records... get a sample i want from it... and basically lay out my own drums on it. do you know how to do this? if you do, plz reply to this post, thankz...
  2. Incisive1

Incisive1 New Member

Im assuming you know the basics of reason:

you gotta record the sample that you want to use into your computer using a different audio program like cool edit (now adobe audition) or wavelab and to make things easier, cut the sample how u want it using that program as well - at least where it starts.

Then import it into into reason using the NN19 by clicking the little file folder located around the top right hand side. It should be spanned across the keyboard - test this by enabling the NN19 in the sequencer and pressing some notes on your keyboard - u should here it play back. Note C3 will play the sample at its original pitch if thats what u want to use if not - obviously use the other notes.

Next u gotta get the tempo of the sample at the pitch you want to use it so play reason and enable the click. Without actually recording in the sequencer, Press and hold the key of the keyboard to play the sample on the click and adjust the tempo accordingly until the click and sample are in time (this may take a while - every time u change the tempo, let go of the key on the keyboard, wait, then press again on the click to check and see if you found the right speed).

Once the tempo is matched up, you are ready to record so record setup a 4 bar loop (or however long the sample is) in the sequencer and record hold down the keyboard note to play the sample at the start of the bar all the way to the end. Stop and play, it should (if all is well) loop the sample.

Now you just have to use the redrum module to put a drum beat on top.

Hope that helped (i know it is a bit rushed but hey...should help)
  3. eyez0nme

eyez0nme New Member

Thanks, but can you show me exactly how I can play samples on my Reason on my NN-19? I don't know what button to make it start playing.

"It should be spanned across the keyboard - test this by enabling the NN19 in the sequencer and pressing some notes on your keyboard - u should here it play back. Note C3 will play the sample at its original pitch if thats what u want to use if not - obviously use the other notes."

How do I do this exactly?