Reloading Factory Presets for Roland U-220

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by ProgRockGuy, Nov 21, 2005.

1. ProgRockGuy

ProgRockGuy New Member

Several months ago, I picked up a Roland U-220 on ebay and have finally started to play around with it. In what is, I gather, a fairly common occurence, the factory presets have all been overwritten. A while back, I got a hold of a midi file which supposedly contains the necessary sysx messages to restore the presets but when I send them to the synth, nothing seems to happen. I've used the MIDI message monitoring on the U-220 to watch what's coming through and it seems to receive only a few bytes (out of the approximately 11k bytes of the full sysx file and those are near the very end). I'm able to send note data to the unit with no problem so I know it's not a connection problem and I've confirmed tha the setup menu has Sysx Rx turned on. One thought is that the U220 is not recognizing the device ID (if I'm reading the sysx data correctly, it's sending device 2B which, according to the manual, is correct).

In case it's relevant, I'm sending this from Cakewalk Sonar out through the MIDI port on a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card and I'm going through a KMX-16 MIDI patch bay. I've tried transmitting the data both by "playing" the midi file (which issues the 238 send-sysx-bank commands) and by going in to Sonar's sysx-view and manually sending all the banks (also tried sending a few of them one at a time).

Can anyone suggest any other settings within Cakewalk or on the Santa Cruz, KMX-16 or U-220 that I might be missing?

--David
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

A quick look through the manual didn't tell me how to do this either. The only thing I could find was a sentence which basically said, if you want to restore the factory settings contact your local Roland service centre. I suggest you do just that.
  3. moosh101

moosh101 New Member

Roland U-220 factory defaults

I have a midi file that can restore the Roland U-220 sound module to its factory defaults. The file is in .zip format and can be obtained from me via e-mail: moosh101@paradise.net.nz. Instructions are also included and to be able to complete the procedure you need the following:

- A midi connection from your PC (midi out) to the U-220 (midi in)
    - A midi player, such as Cakewalk, etc.
    - The midi file.

I hope this helps. ;)
  4. ravenwood

ravenwood New Member

Hi

Is there any way you could send me the same files, as i have looked all over the net and come up will a lot of dead links

regards