Remote Desktop printing...Inactive TS Port

Discussion in 'Computers' started by conradcliff, Sep 24, 2004.

1. conradcliff

conradcliff New Member

Hey guys, here is my issue. I have remote desktop set up on an XP Pro system in tampa but whenever I access it from a remote location the printers on the remote clients wont show up on the XP server during the session. If I go to add a new printer and set up the port everyone of them shows up as an "inactive TS Port" instead of having the remote clients name just after the port number. I've got the drivers installed in both locations and the "client for microsoft networks" and "File and print sharing for microsoft networks" services are both installed. The systems I'm using to access the server are behind either a linksys router or linksys switch connected to another linksys router which I have setup to use PPPoE authentication through a wirspeed DSL modem. Any help would be great!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again!!!
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

There are obviously quite a number of possibilities that prevent you from printing via TS. Here's what I've picked out from online.

It may depend on if your printer is compatible with terminal services. Check your model with www.printersupport.com

See if the drivers were installed in Install mode, to ensure that the expected registry keys are installed.

Try to differentiate the port from the other profile.

Look at the printer permissions as well, including the NTFS permissions on the location of the drivers.

In your profile, try mapping another port to the printer.

Try these ideas, and I'll continue researching.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  3. conradcliff

conradcliff New Member

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them. One other thing, I tried accessing the RD server from a system I have directly connected to the 1st router just after the modem and that one seems to work. In that when I look at the available printer ports there are 2 that say: TS001 (DNL: PRN 1) DNL is the name of the system. So I'm wondering if it's some crazy networking problem. Thanks again for the info.
  4. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

or a simple way is to get a print server and have that handle all the printing duties, and since print servers live off the router or switch, it has it's own IP so therefore printing stuff remotely is also possible through IP or domain name.