Removing Vocals from an Audio File

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by willglen, Sep 29, 2002.

1. sUPAdAVE

sUPAdAVE New Member

There is a vocal remover program out there that is VERY small, and pretty much useless (Same as the more expensive programs, actually..).. My suggestion is to find vinyl singles, and use accapellas...
  2. kindler

kindler New Member

I've used the WinAmp plug-in and it works well if the song is mixed correctly. The basic premise is that it assumes that lead vocals are mixed dead-center and everything else is panned one way or the other. It removes anything that's dead center. Unfortunately, you lose a lot more than vocals. I've had pretty good results at removing the vocals, then adding midi drums and bass back into the audio.
  3. jmb0000

jmb0000 New Member

cool edit pro 2.0. use the channel mixer/vocal cut. it depends on the recording of the original song. it will never be a complete cut though
  4. DERVOGELMANN

DERVOGELMANN New Member

there's a vst plugin called "voice attenuator", but i can also only say: forget it! you will bever get a perfect or even good result.
  5. shmigga

shmigga New Member

cool edit pro 2 would be a good program to use for this kinda stuyff
  6. boneycov

boneycov New Member

does cool edit 2000 have vocal remover
  7. tonymac

tonymac New Member

you can do it in sound forge 5 some times it works great othertimes it cant be done
  8. redrain

redrain New Member

9. chntlychgr06

chntlychgr06 New Member

i use cool edit pro 2.0. if u run a underground studio (u get bands around ur neighborhood to ur garage and record a demo for them for a fee), this program is great. it can also remove vocals for audio files also. it only costs $249.00.
  10. Anubus

Anubus New Member

The Vocal Remover isn't a very good source if for example you want to karaoke to a song. I've heard GoldWave is very useful, though I myself have never tried it out.

It is earier in the end to just use a midi or a Karaoke File(there's a subject on the board for them, look in the root directory) if you want files deviod of vocals.

Start with a file free of vocals, because removing them with the widely distributed softwares generally don't alleviate what you have them to do.
  11. AlterEgo

AlterEgo New Member

I have nt seen a app to TOTALLY take the vocals out yet.
  12. tonyrome

tonyrome New Member

I don't think we will ever see an app that can do this...just the same as trying to remove the music and keeping the vocals...
    sure, you can come close, but you will always take out parts of the music itself.

if it is a dance track you are looking for...there is almost always an instrumental version on the flip side.

your best bet is to use the midi file and reproduce it without vocals (which, unfortunately, is the only thing you can do short of contacting the producer of the track and getting an instrumental! :)
  13. BrianTMC

BrianTMC New Member

Hey Folkz,

I was just wondering...
    Programs like CoolEdit subract the left channel from the right to find out what's recorded in the middle, and eventually mute that center recording to (try to) get rid of the center vocal.
    Alright, let's just say I have a acapella for the track I'm trying to do that with right?
    From a mathematical point of view, wouldn't it be possible to somehow subtract the acapella from the original (unfiltered) track?
    The acapella and original would have to be full quality though I guess.
    I think it's possible, I just don't know how.
  14. zerooooz

zerooooz New Member

Mission Impossible
  15. wrfocus1

wrfocus1 New Member

You could just go to Kazaa and download the song as an intrumental, it already has the voices taken out of it.
  16. JSable

JSable New Member

Another program you can try if your willing to spend the money is 'Audio Cleaning Lab' by Magix. There's no actual 'de-vocalize' feature, but there are some reallly powerfull tools included that it could be possible with alot of fine tuning and 're-cleaning' the file a few times. But just like everyone has pretty much said, it's near impossible to get a complete removal of voice tracks without disturbing the rest of the composition.

JSable
  17. floid

floid New Member

never been able to sucessfully remove audio without butchering everything else. the software that does it removes that frequency from the mix - thus removing those portions of all the other instruments too. the theory is that when you sing over the track you won't notice thjose frequencies missing but that's bollocks too - it never really works.
    floid
  18. sunshinecup

sunshinecup New Member

I havn't found anything that really works yet, everthing I have tried thus far removes the vocals with other parts which leaves the song distorted.
  19. JensonMusic

JensonMusic New Member

The problem is a normal audio track is 2 parts, Left and Right; not Instruments and vocals. You can get lucky with Pro tools or Cubase and pull out the vocal frequencies on each side, but the main problem is most instruments operate on very similar frequencies as the voice. You'd be pulling out the same parts you're trying to hear! (unless you're just looking for the low or high frequencies, then you should be ok)
  20. boetheus

boetheus New Member

removing vocals

I can't remember the site, but there is a Diret X plug-in that does a pretty good job of removing the vocals. It puts the wave out of phase. Do a search for Direct X effects