Roland midi file format (lyrics)

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Fnb, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Fnb

Fnb New Member

Hi all,

I recently bought a piece of (dated) hardware called a Roland LVC-1 (Lyrics Video Converter).

Basically this little box hooks up to a Roland Arranger keyboard and displays lyrics embedded in the midi file on a television.

I'm trying to get this to work without using an arranger keyboard but I've no idea what format the file should be saved as (Midi 0, Midi 1 etc).

The closest I have managed to get is saving the file in "Roland Video Lyrics" format using GNMIDI but when I play this back using the midi out on my PC I get a single word appearing at a time on the screen which is unusable.

It looks like the Roland Video Lyric format appears to have lots of sysex embedded in it which wouldn't be the easiest to program :eek: and also the midi file has to start with "ALL rights reserved" (I think)...

Any help would be appreciated as option b is putting this little box on ebay (I don't want to shell out on a Roland Arranger keyboard as well :rolleyes2 )

Thanks!

Hugh (Fnb)
  2. stublito

stublito New Member

I want to do the same thing. Did you get it to work?

Perhaps the reason you just get one word per screen is that the space character is used to tell the VLC to change screens. Did you try using the underscore character (for instance) to "connect" the words you want to be together on one screen?

Let me know ASAP.

Peter
  3. Fnb

Fnb New Member

Nope! I still have the LVC but haven't looked near it since I posted this message...

Have you got one yourself to try your idea out (I'm having a flashback to the box of cabling I would need to untangle to hook this up again)?

This is probably blasphemy here on the midi buddy forum but...
    I've gone down the route of rendering the midis using VST instruments into Wav/MP3 files and then adding the lyrics afterward using a mediaplayer/winamp plugin called VividLyrics. I can add chords above the lyrics too which is nice.

That's my solution for all that I'm currently doing.
    I might move to using a program called ShowPlay (here) which is more pro, rugged etc and has a footswitch but seems a bit overpriced to me for what it does...
  4. lucieband

lucieband New Member

Hi, I just joined Midi Buddy and I have a few questions about MIDI.
  5. stublito

stublito New Member

VLC-1 Update and Request

So I got the VLC-1 and started decoding the sysex. I have got it displaying text I want in a small white font.

I'm guessing there is extra sysex at the beginning of the song to specify font and size etc. I noticed you have already examined the sysex (though it was a while ago). I have been looking EVERYWHERE on the net for the sysex spec to no avail.

Did you ever have it hooked up to an arranger? It would be WONDERFUL if you could send me a midi file of the sysex from an arranger if you can. I would be glad to share the results with you. THe sysex programming is pretty straight forward.

email me at ogusa(at)lava.net

Thanks

Stublito