Rosewood Vs Maple fretboards on a bass guitars.

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by BazzerX, Aug 2, 2004.

1. BazzerX

BazzerX New Member

Hi,

All the basses I have, and all my previous basses have had rosewood or phenolic fingerboards. I like the look and feel of the rosewood type and it soaks up a bit of the sweat/grease etc from your fretting hand when playing in hot environments (most pubs for example), and so never becomes too slidey or sticky.

Does anyone have any views on this or Pros for the use of Maple fretboards.

Maybe this is getting too specific and nobody gives a damn about fretboards, but we'll see!

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Baz.
  2. turbocoo

turbocoo New Member

yes baz

for me rosewood is the way to go especially on guitars but maple is nice on a precision bass. It does lift the tone.
  3. BazzerX

BazzerX New Member

Thanks Turbo,

I'll look into that, as I like precision basses.

Cheerz.
    Baz.
  4. leeroymo

leeroymo New Member

5. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

Everyone has an opinion on this one... I personally choose rosewood for the look mostly depending on the type of guitar neck. Most of my buddies say maple is better for speed and even maple that has been sanded down... I have this old blackie once owned by a legendary blues guitarist in Chicago that is like that and it has 3 humbuckers... hot. It depends on your personal taste though... if the subleties are noticed then decide which you prefer and stick with it or keep one rosewood, maple... around.