sheet music files

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by janeh, Sep 7, 2004.

1. janeh

janeh New Member

I heard there was a program where you can scan in sheet music and then you can manipulate the flie - changing key etc. Sounds great. Anyone know about that?
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

yep... I have the name at school and will get it for you - but its MAD expensive!!!

Free software like www.anvilstudio.com allows you to drag and drop notes to recreate sheet music, my students use it with ease all the time. Anvil will allow you to manipulate key and tempo. The catch is that you have to purchase the portion of the program that will allow you to print what you've done - no biggie if you're looking for the sound, but an issue if you're looking for sheetmusic for your pianist as an end result.

The issue with both the scanning and the drag-dropping methods is that you lose the expression that a real player will put in... Using fancier software like cakewalk allows you control over some of the "controllers" like expression... fine tuning is often more'n half the battle in my compositions, but if I were a better player THAT would already be taken care of :rolleyes: by the touch-sensitivity of a good keyboard.

But I digress... d'ya wanna spend the big bucks or use the freebie? ;)
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  3. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Sibelius is a program capable of scanning in sheet music, and re-printing it out after some modification. Very cool, but it does require some dough to get it to work for you. Learned about it at my school, and found it to be a great true composition tool. There is a free trial version available at www.sibelius.com.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  4. serenenytmar

serenenytmar New Member

Hmm, I think I'll have to try out that free studio where you drag and drop the notes, sounds like an awesome program to have =)