Should I Play Bass?

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by bird, Jan 17, 2003.

1. bird

bird Bird is the Wordd

Ive been playing guitar for a few years now. Im thinking about bass. I know the basic strokes. do you think if i buy a bass i could play most songs with a tab
  2. Stilcrazy

Stilcrazy Just a Regular Midi Guy

Bass is a wonderful instrument ... one of the easiest to pickup ... but one of the hardest to master ...

go for it ... see what you can do
  3. gnr2k3

gnr2k3 Goodie 2 shoes hoser

I agree, if you already know guitar, the bass should come very easily, granted you won't be a Billy Sheenan, but with time, you never know...LOL
  4. mierda

mierda New Member

bass rules, its rocker shit
  5. bird

bird Bird is the Wordd

awsome
  6. parabien

parabien New Member

You suck already at guitar...don't bother. Get a shovel and go and plant potatoes
  7. parabien

parabien New Member

I take everything back... your not good even with the potatoes
  8. slim

slim New Member

dude go for it- it'll be the most fun thing you'll ever do.....
  9. Rich_b

Rich_b Bass Cadet

If you're interested what have you got to lose by trying? Same with any instrument really, you get out what you put in. You can pick up free bass lessons at www.olga.net and other tab sites.
  10. joeymercier

joeymercier New Member

well if you master the bass... play drums

i play drums, it really helps with proper rythm and discipline
  11. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

I say play as many instruments as you wish... maybe guitar wasn't the one for you then again I began playing piano then picked up guitar then eventually had a craving to hit the keys again so I did and haven't stopped playing either and then what did I do... added a few other instruments to the conglomerate! If someone tells you you suck at "guitar and potatoes"... :laugh2::laugh: hey prove 'em wrong! Besides it really doesn't matter if you're no good at something as long as you gave it a try and enjoy it if you continue. Learning is never a bad thing. :)

My first time playing bass I had to pick it up over a few days for a show I filled in for. I faked it but I managed to fool most of the people into believing I actually knew what I was doing...:laugh2: but then when they wanted to do the fancy Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff... eek! :laugh:
  12. beatman

beatman New Member

If you know your way round the guitar neck you should be able to lay down bass lines, by remember... the bass is a percussive instrument, it tends to hang with the drummer So, so long as you don't try to be a 'lead guitarist playing bass' you should be ok. IMHO :)
    Last edited: May 24, 2004
  13. rebelcdr

rebelcdr New Member

14. BazzerX

BazzerX New Member

I went from guitar to bass a few years ago and am happy with it.

My greatest failing though, is doing guitar style lead licks on the bass when I should be doing something more solid! On listening to live and rehearsal recordings of the band I've found this sometimes sounds great at other times sounds rubbish.

So that is something to watch.
  15. eternityras

eternityras New Member

omg, basses are so awsome! i think you should at least give it a try.
  16. Phulcrum

Phulcrum New Member

I played guitar for a few years. I was asked by a friend to play bass for him and another guitarist. As it turns out I am a MUCH better bass player then guitar player. I've been playing bass is my primary for over a year now and I am really really enjoying it. It is very different though. You will NOT play the bass the way you play guitar. You have to pick and choose your places to take some lead runs and really focus on giving a solid melody groove. I say go for it, without a doubt. Everyone plays guitar. You'll always find people to jam with as a reasonably proficient bass player.
  17. Jon Marsh

Jon Marsh New Member

Ignore Parabien, not sure that he's taken his medication yet. Go for the bass, but learn the bass clef as well as bass tabs - you can convert most midi files into the stave format with any number of free notation programs - then you can learn both visually and aurally.
  18. Kippei

Kippei New Member

heh I play in a stage band in my highschool, and I plan to take up the bass guitar in the band; prolly gonna be the first one in a looong time :)