Should it make the cut?

Discussion in 'Original Music' started by theARTiSAN, Jul 16, 2002.

1. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Hey guys -
    I need a little feedback.
    My band is working on our 2nd CD, and I have an original (still very DEMO) track that I am trying to decide if it should be included or not.

This is an original piece, MIDI backing track (done in Cakewalk - mostly) with guitar and vocal work Multi-tracked in Cool Edit Pro. This demo features all me on everything - so excuse the roughness, it still is very much a DEMO (and very much copywritten - ha ha)

Let me know if it should be released or sh*tcanned.

Thanks! You opinion really does matter.:thumbsup:
    (The demo is available for download from one of my personal sites, and is in MP3 format... The WAV does sound a little better.)

Please post, PM or email your thoughts - I have almost a month before we hit the studio - so a decision has to be made before then.

Get the File >>HERE<<

Moved file location so I Edited link. Reworked the MIDI sequence portion to include bass track, and remixed the guitar work a bit too

http://www.flatface.net/~theartisan/cgi-bin/IKB/ikonboard.cgi?s=;act=Attach;ID=47;f=17;t=1;p=1
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2002
  2. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Great song! I like the harmonies and everything!

Only compliant is the cheap sounding drums. They also sound a little busy... Doesn't sound like a hi-hat sound is being used. I see what's trying to be done with the beat, but it's not working. I would just go a steady 2 - 4 rock beat with occasional grace notes. I'm assuming you have a drummer that'll take care of that when you record in the studio?

Are you running your synth through a keyboard, is that your sound card? It just sounds a little dry. Also, try bringing the vocals a little more up front. Boost the mid-high range, and add a little more reverb maybe.

I'm impressed with the guitar and vocal sound overall though. Guitar is really hard to get sounding right and it sounds nailed! Sweet!
  3. theARTiSAN

*blush* Thanks bro!
    I know the drums are on the cheesy side... I do have a drummer. I just used the Cakewalk Pro Session drummer with a fusion-like beat for the demo.

No keyboard - MIDI all hand-sequenced in Cakewalk run through Soundblaster Live. The rest all done in CoolEdit Pro.

Thanks for the feedback! A few more reviews and I'll definately know what to do with it! ;)
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2002
  4. theARTiSAN

Come on guys...
    I don't want to have to beg for feedback - That's why I posted it on this site:
    Cuz you're smart, music oriented people with something intelliegent to say.

I really need your thoughts!
  5. Loginar

Loginar New Member

i like it

i think it is good you should include it
  6. theARTiSAN

I reworked the midi to include a bass track, and completely changed the drums. I think it sounds a little better now.
  7. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Have I heard this version?
  8. theARTiSAN

No, actually - you heard the revision I made right before this (without bass)

I should add here, that I'd like to give (lost)Dave credit for giving me a great push in the right direction on the bassline that was driving me nuts! Thanks again Dave :thumbsup:

The bassline is a little weird, but it's a good example of a guitar player trying to sequence a bassline :laugh:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2002
  9. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

New mix sounds great....the drums are much more bettererer....
    OVerall a tidier/tighter mix......drum speration sound a bit wierd...sounded like kick and snare were panned.....
  10. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I can't hear it - link doesn't work for me?
  11. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

It's a link to an MP3 ZR....and it'z zipped..so y'll hafta download it it and unzip the use somthing like winamp or mediaplayer to listen to it.

Dave
  12. theARTiSAN

I'll be posting a mastered version in a few days ;)
  13. LifeIsForPosers

LifeIsForPosers New Member

14. ZelRiptha

Ahh, works now - not sure what was up earlier... I'll give a listen.
  15. ZelRiptha

I'm listening on a terribly crappy rig here at work (no stereo even), but it sounds pretty darn good to me. One comment: the piano(?) at the beginning is a bit dry (perhaps intentional?) - some MIDI controller 91 or some audio channel depth might fill it out a bit. Alternatively, dupe the channel in MIDI and pan one left, one right, and set off a few ticks. Make it a bit more haunting. I can't hear the bass, but that's probably this crappy speaker. Drums sounded pretty good to me, but I'm not a drummer. Might have more thoughts if I listen on a real computer... ;)

Art, what's sequenced here? Piano, Bass, drums, bit of synth - that it?

And please disregard these comments entirely if they're due to my poor sound reproduction here...
  16. ZelRiptha

BTW, cool lyrics :)
  17. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

Well if thats a song that DOESNT make the cut I'd love 2 hear the ones that do make it.
  18. theARTiSAN

Thanks guys :thumbsup: appreciate the feedback!

ZR - I've got Piano, Bass, drums, and a bit of synth, with some orchestra "hits" that mirror the synth and Dulcimer in the break. The slap bass HAD to go... I finally found a soundfont that sounded decent (Fender Jazz Bass). So I've modified the sequence a smidge - no more slap bass.

Voice - :thumbsup: thanks man... I've got some reworking to do on some of my stuff yet, but I'll be happy to share it when I'm finished.

I think I'm done putzing with it (for now anyway), so I've been working on mastering it. I should have that done soon. I've got a "pre-master" that I've uploaded to replace the one you guys listened to. Only change in the arrangement is the bass.
    It's got a punchier overall sound, but the guitars sounds a little thin, so I'm not quite done with it yet.
  19. xj911

xj911 We Todd ED Staff Member Moderator

not bad, when's the midi version coming out? :)
  20. theARTiSAN

Soon - I have one, but I need to rearrange the guitars in it a little bit...