Should it make the cut?

Discussion in 'Original Music' started by theARTiSAN, Jul 16, 2002.

1. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Ronny, that's all Art, singing, playing, and sequencing - whattaguy!

Okay, since I was going to go over Dave's track again, I'm listening to this one some more as well ;).

A few more comments:

The more I listen to the drum line, the more I'm thinking I don't care for the "tamborine" sound - is that supposed to be be hi-hat? (Maybe it's just SB Live's cheesy perc sounds? Bass and snare sound fine...)
    Damn, I meant for this not to be aimed at the demo - Art, don't go change this stuff any more unless it makes you happy :)
    Anyway, if you've got broadband, give the Yamaha soft synth (http://www.yamaha.co.uk/xg/html/h_featur.htm) a try and see if the MIDI doesn't sound more "live" (that is a 30 day fully functional demo - sounds exactly like my Yamaha DB50XG hard card). If you don't want to do that, send me a MIDI of the backing stuff, and I'll record you an MP3 for comparison. I think it'll improve the drum sound even more. Or not. I realize I'm getting very picky here.
    Never said it before, but that intro "sound" kicks major bootie - whatever you did is super cool.
    Panning of back-ups is perfect.
    Around the 4:10-50 mark, or so (2nd chorus?) there's some piano activity in the background, and you're playing straight quarters on the ride cymbal. The piano seems a bit too hidden, and the cymbal line seems too "straight" - wish I were a drummer to make an alternate suggestion... maybe mixing in some semiquavers on strong beats, or something like that? (Looking back at Jeanie's comments, I think we're talking about the same section.)
    Sorry, the only thing left is nits. ;)
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2002
  2. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I think the drums were samples......(from memory If he took my advice...the toms sound very familiar)
  3. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

** Promo Plug ** Be sure to listen to lostdave's original too!
    It's here:
    Dave - BWT I like the production label idea :thumbsup:

Jeanie - I'll upload it somewhere and PM you a link... But you have to promise:
    1. not to laugh
    2. to delete the file and reformat your hard drive after you listen to it (I'm pretty sure you're going to want to do that anyway after you hear it...:rolleyes: )
    3. to realize that I personally don't like it, and am farily sure I could do better if I tried it again.
    4. . . . . Um, that's it... ;)

Ronny - Great feedback - thanks!
    Hmmm... Un 'unplugged' beginning eh? I might have to play with that - never occurred to me :D

In the break section where everything drops off, believe me, I've been itching to load it up with solo work... But, I sort of wanted to keep it open to deflate the energy a tad before it builds up to the solo (where it kicks back in)... It's been tempting, and if I get too much idle time on my hands, I might not be able to resist :laugh2:

A key change eh :damn: - blame it on Bon Jovi... Almost every title of his I've ever convered is vocally way too high for me in the first place, but steps up at the end (which causes me to herniate myself to try to sing...). Good idea, but I've been on a key change boycott for a couple years now... :rolleyes:

A celtic feel? you think so? :: listens to it again ::
    HAH! I guess you might say that! No it wasn't intentional, but maybe it's just inspiration or something. I love gaelic/celtic type music; maybe that bleeds into my originals!

I'm glad you like it! Like ZR pointed out, that's all me (with some bass track sequence help from Dave ;)
    I do have some others that I'm in the process of mastering - I have about 50 or so DEMO titles I've recorded over the years - BUT most of those were recorded via an analog Tascam 4-track - so they sound absolutely horrible and beyond todays restoration technology.
    I will be redoing them (soon I hope) and would love to hear what you think. All I've got done are a few demo cover tunes - Mustang Sally (Wilson Pickett), I wanna be Sedated (the Ramones), Chad Kroeger's Hero and some others. But if you're like me, covers are neat and all, but nothing to get excited about... But, if you're interested, PM me and I'll upload it somewhere and give ya a link!
    Thanks again for the critique!

ZR - Yeah - that's supposed to be a tambourine.... In retrospect, see as how I'm not planning to add a tambourine in the studio, I would really have to wonder why I put it in the demo...
    I'm usually leave all the drumming to the professionals :thumbsup: - Instead of having my drummer follow my (often ridiculous) drum sequence, I usually give free license to create a workable track... Then, if I have changes, we'd work it out.
    I'm glad you liked the intro sound - that's a guitar slide and harmonic with some major editing and production done to it :D
    Again - great feedback! Thanks again!

Yes Dave - you should recognize the drums. I use those quite often now... They have a nice overall sound IMO! Thanks again!
  4. ZelRiptha

Actually, I'm glad that's really tambourine, and I'm not just crazy. The percussion all sounds hot, that's the only sound I was not harmonizing with. Funny, now that I know it's supposed to be tambourine, it doesn't bother me as much *shrug*. :D
  5. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Thinking a bit more about it I still think an unplugged start would work. Playing live I see that the best songs for audience reaction are songs which build up. If people are in the mood then when the song starts softly people will react to that and when the big punch comes in and they go crazy. Probably a great example is The Calling, Wherever You Will Go. Starts quiet, guitar joins in and a big sound for the chorus. It drops off and builds again, ok you get the picture. Perhaps you should experiment with it, you have the backing so why not.

A Key change, I like them but they need to work with the whole song. I definatley would have to hear it first but again you have the midi backing so why not give it a try, it may not work but it may.

Celtic feel, definatley when the second vocal joins.

Finally there are some really high sounding things going on in the quieter bit in the middle which match the piano, they're a bit too loud.

Of course all this is totally subjective!!

Also it's been bugging me who you sound like from the first time I heard the track. Please don't take this as a criticism but you remind me so much of Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull. One of the greatest singer/songwriters and one of my all time favourites. Take that as a compliment.

Would love you to send me the link to other stuff.

Also I have 4 tracks I would like feedback about but have no idea how to showcase them.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2002
  6. theARTiSAN

Ronny - I'd love to hear em.
    You could feed your 4-track (or final stereo mixdown) from your track machine into your soundcard's line in.
    All you'd really need is a program like Cool Edit Pro, Goldwave or any other similar program - just record the track, clean it up or edit it if it needs it, save the file as a WAV then convert it to mp3.

If you were talking about needing a place to UPLOAD it to for sharing, sorry :laugh: just PM me - I've got a place.
  7. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Will get on to it. When I've the stuff sorted I'll send them to you. Have to wait till I get home, will be another 2 weeks.:thumbsup:
  8. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I think the tambourinbe has to go........
    sad as it is.......it is eating up all the top end bandwidth

Dave
  9. ZelRiptha

Good stuff deserves to be heard and not dwell in the basement of the thread....

Has the link changed again? I think those up top go 404...

:)

ZR ~self-styled grubber of good posts~
  10. theARTiSAN

LMAO - the scary stuff that gets dug up from the depths...
    :: hides ::