Should We Pay For Midi Files When We Can Exchange Them For Free?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by egoveas, Sep 25, 2002.

1. egoveas

egoveas New Member

Hi,

Was just thinking out loud, there is a lot of talent out there and there is always someone who has what you want, and that someone many a times needs what you have, so in a world where exchange is not a bad idea at all, does it still make sense to buy midi's?

I am sure its a lotta peoples livelihood, but what happens to those who are as talented and willing to share for free, are they forced to only buy when that one elusive midi file is just not available.....

I think sites like the MidiBuddy board is what its all about, the good in the internet, bringing people close together by isolating their tru love....."MUSIC".

What do you think?

Cheers Guys,
    egoveas
  2. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

It's not just the availability of certain midis.
    If you've done your share of surfing around looking for MIDIs (I know we all have) I know you've run into 10 bad midis for every good one you find.

Simply put, there is a ton of amateur crap out there. If you buy it, you know it's not going to be entirely awful, and you won't have to do it yourself.
    How much is your time worth? That's why people buy them.

Not everyone uses these for studio or livelyhood - for listening pleasure, a lot more of the net-found midis will do, but for the serious muso, or studio - Some of that junk just won't cut it.

I Don't pay for them.
    I surf, I hang around here and beg everyone for them - and if none of that works, I do it myself or decide I never liked that song to begin with ;).
  3. egoveas

egoveas New Member

Artisan,

Thats one hell of a good way to look at it...makes sense..
  4. Nyxan

Nyxan It wont hurt for long Staff Member Moderator

Like you artisan I use mine for both pleasure and work and as you said if you pay you don't get crap. But the only time I'll ever pay is if the song is extremely difficult or I don't have the time to either sequence it myself or wait for a search to come back positive(which is extremely rare due to boards such as this). Also it is worth noting that a lot of good songs never get sequenced by the midi companies, so its up to the amatures(and I use that term loosely) to do the job so the more credit to them.:borg:
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2002
  5. Ravenswood

Ravenswood New Member

Sharing midi

Can't see why it would be different than mp3s?
  6. keyboard_player

keyboard_player New Member

Buy MIDI's?

No way!

I've bought two midi's once, for 30 euro, about 25 dollar, and the quality whas :mad: So i love exchange!
  7. playhouse

playhouse New Member

I use midi files for live purposes only and have always either swapped with other musos or done them myself...I find that even the Pro "bought" files cant compare with one you would take the time to pain stakingly (is that a word) do yourself. If you have the ability to sequence, dont be lazy and spend the time...the satisfaction of creating yur own masterpiece is always rewarding when ya up on stage and you dont have to cringe when that "sad" drumfill or crappy horn line lets you down from a sequence that you found at some backyard midi site...:)
  8. Nyxan

Well said playhouse. Nothing beats doin them youself
  9. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

keyboard_player says,
    It's all well and good having these principals of not paying for midis and doing them yourself but think about this. Music is part of my livelihood. I work Mon to Fri 9-5, play four nights a week, practice 1 night a week which leaves me with two nights, a Mon night to chill my ass for once and a further night midi, lyric and chord hunting. I'm sure a lot of others do so as well. Yeah, it's my choice and all that.......

But look at it another way. Midis are as essential to my work as my van is. I don't decide to build a van, I buy one. Why are midis any different, why re-invent the wheel?

The first midi I bought was Bohemian Like You when the single was released. It cost £4 and I've been playing it regularly ever since.

Is that value for money or what.

My 2d worth!!

:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2002
  10. Nyxan

Like you Ronny music is my life. I have three jobs of which music is the best. I don't have much time on my hands. I work 8-5 mon-fri, play up to three nights a week and train dogs sundays. But the best relaxation I get is sitting down and sequenceing a song. I find it takes my mind of all the other problems I get during the day and the satisfaction of completeing a song is fantastic especially when you play it for the first time and people complement you on the arrangment. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking professional sequences its just that I get a kick out of doing my own.:thumbsup:
  11. playhouse

playhouse New Member

I totally agree Xayissa...I have the philosophy that doing your own sequences gives that added feeling of ownership when you are on stage...its as though the "band" behind you is your band if you know what I mean...
    Time is always a factor when you are a working muso because generally we all have a number of jobs to pay the bills. So it can be difficult to sit and spend the hours putting songs together. That is why I will occassionally swap my stuff with other musos providing the quality of "the swap" is good because at the end of the day you will only sound as good as your worst sequence....:cool:
  12. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

A lot can depend on your talent with a keyboard as well. I couldn't even begin to sequence fiddly piano bits being more of a chord/rhythm player on the keyboard.

Guitar being my main instrument!!
  13. Nyxan

I was never taught to play any instrument except brass so most of my sequences are done the "painful" way, either by ear or step timing but I still get a kick out of being able to produce something that (to me anyway) is a faithfull rendition of a song that I like.
    Also playhouse you hit the nail right on the head when you said your only as good as the band behind you or in my case the sequence. So I suppose when it comes down to it, if you want to work in the music industry you have to provide the paying public what they wan't, and from my experience(20 years) they don't want crap.:borg:
  14. SuperKEks

SuperKEks New Member

I think paying for midis suxx, cause the people who máke them do it for fun not to get money!
  15. Elias

Elias New Member

Woooooow... create your own midi's - the satisfaction of your own creation is unlimited, but at times it gets difficult to make time with various commitments in life... so the best bet would be to exchange midi's. But Alas!! the wait for a new release is really long... Wish we all could cooperate and post more current releases to Midi Buddy!!!:thumbsup: Surely this is a gr8 family I have :cool:
  16. NOFX ROCK!

NOFX ROCK! New Member

I personally would never pay for a midi but I understand why people would. It's a bit like a carwash. Some people would never pay for that 'cos they can do a better job themselves but others don't have the time!!
  17. bigbytez

bigbytez New Member

if somebody make some good work don't want to give them for free. i think they have right to sell them.
  18. frankdev

frankdev New Member

i would love to be able to get them all for free but theres not a lot of good irish country midis around
  19. juicy_tingle

juicy_tingle New Member

midi creation roxors
  20. juicy_tingle

juicy_tingle New Member

thanks for the support