Should We Pay For Midi Files When We Can Exchange Them For Free?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by egoveas, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

definately with exchange! ;)
  2. ssangel

ssangel New Member

Came here to support !!
  3. NinaMidi

NinaMidi New Member

4. AL_MOTOR

AL_MOTOR New Member

free is the way it should be!
  5. besty

besty New Member

I can see both sides to the story. I think it's a great way to make money if you are good enough. We all, or alot of us go out and play for a living and get paid so why not get paid for producing good files for the professionals. It's a tax deduction for muso's that earn a living out of it anyway.

I have never bought files because I have the time to program as I play full time. I also sell some of my files. But I also share them as well. That's why we're all here after all hey!! Sharing is the best!!
  6. imzqt4u

imzqt4u New Member

I used to have one of the largest MIDI sites on the net. Key words are "used to". MIDI files are licensable by BMI, ASCAP, and the other agencies who potect copyrights for the writers of the songs. Since the site became so popular, it attracted their attentions. I was told to pay up, shut down, or be sued. I can't afford the licensing fees since I gave the files away for free. So I shut it down. When you buy a file, part of that money goes to paying the licensing fee. Which in turn goes to the person who wrote the song. Also part of that fee goes to the person who made it. So people get paid for the hard work they performed on both the song itself, and the sequencing of it.
  7. kainkzar

kainkzar New Member

Free midi

Unless midi files are done by veteran sequencers then they should be free. Why pay for amature sequences.
  8. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Re: Free midi

Well.. yeh... All ones for sale are usually professionally sequenced.
  9. skwid

skwid New Member

i think its great to get free midis. i wouldn't mind paying for them if it was a really great song and if i was desperate to get it.
  10. starletangel47

starletangel47 New Member

i dont think that we should have to pay for midis
  11. bigd11

bigd11 New Member

midi files should be free
  12. Si

Si Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

I have payed for a few in the past and they ooze quality on the whole. Maybe a little overpriced though.
  13. LadyPain

LadyPain New Member

Pay for midifiles..... NO THANKS!
  14. welshie

welshie New Member

we have to pay for them? what do you mean?

There just electronic files!
  15. donaldrees

donaldrees New Member

The question is...how would this site support itself?

Or better, how do the people who work so hard to make these files get rewarded. I think things are fine the way they are.
  16. AdacegMidi

AdacegMidi New Member

Yeah I Agree
  17. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Well, to everyone who has the time and the ability to make midifiles, I would say: just make them yourself.

But if you are indeed a professional musician, or working in a recording studio, it might be an option to buy files. You can bet the quality will beat that amateur stuff on the net (except for stolen commercial files, but this is illegal anyway). And the price you pay for a midifile is less then what your time is worth to make one. You could go have a gig instead or programming a midifile (or go fishing, whatever...).

It's up to you wether you want to pay or not, but copying copyrighted material is illegal, and sure is not honnest. What if you have a gig and afterwards, the clubowner refuses to pay for your performance ? You spend your time making music, and I'm sure you like being a musician, but you like to be payed for your efforts as well.

The same goes for professional midi programmers: yes I like my job, and yes you can make your own sequences and do whatever you like with them, but shearing and copying material that is not yours is not right. I hope people can understand this, cause everyone wants to be payed for his/her efforts, particulary when you are making a living out of it.

Kind regards,
    Alain
    www.mididesign.be
  18. Bosox

Bosox New Member

Agreed!
  19. sweetcorn

sweetcorn New Member

Both sides have valid points. There are always going to be midi for sale and they should be "better" than the free midis.
    If someone sells midi for a living then that is cool but it is just a fun to share them.

I am sure you get much more feedback from sharing a good midi with hundreds of people than selling a great midi to a couple people.

:)
  20. jon-paul

jon-paul New Member

I think that you get what you pay for! not to say that there aren't some good ones for free but on the whole its a lot of searching and buy the time you have found a good one you could probably done the track yourself (well maybe not) but you definatley could have set down the basic.