Should We Pay For Midi Files When We Can Exchange Them For Free?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by egoveas, Sep 25, 2002.

1. blinkfastr

blinkfastr New Member

Midi is not music unless you are playing Zelda. It is okay for midi to be free if you are paying for quality.
  2. someguy909

someguy909 New Member

I may be new but i think midi sharing is the best. of cousrse you don't have to release all of your "special" midi's w/o some sort of favors being honored but for the general ones; let's share and share alike !!
  3. karlt84

karlt84 New Member

I think that there is no need to have to pay for midi files.... I am just using they for my cell phone.... and it is crazy to have to pay like 10 bucks for one song.....
  4. MC9114ever

MC9114ever New Member

should be free

i think if anything is available for free, we should tkae it
  5. vondownsonfreid

vondownsonfreid New Member

it's hard to say...

I just made the HUGE blunder of posting a copyrighted file to a request on a newgroup (a.b.s.m). My mistake was simple, I didn't look at the file - or listen (in Cakewalk) prior to the upload.
    Had I done that, I would have noticed the copyright and the quality of the file would have been obvious.
    It's very easy to say files should be free when one is looking for a specific file (we tend to be greedy). But I received a stern (though polite) e-mail from the owner who requested that I cease posting his file(s) on the net. At first I was miffed. When some of my files that I posted on "Mystiqal" made their way around I was actually quite proud. Then I noticed that some were not crediting me as the creator and I was somewhat hurt. I guess I could see how this guy felt.
    As I sit back reading this thread, and listen to his midi. I know that I could never create such a file. Even having seen it and looked at how it was made, I couldn't even recreate it.
    That's the difference, my friends. I don't mind swapping amateur files (even the really good ones deserve credit). But pro files are just that...professional files. It's what separates the "sharks from the minnows". When I have work done on my teeth I don't go to "the guy behind the hardware store", I go to the dentist.
    In the end, you get what you pay for. (exit soap box)

Later,

downsie
  6. phill

phill New Member

I have heard alot of expensive so called professional files, and I have only heard mabye 1 or 2 that were any better than the free stuff out there, and most of them were absolute toilet. One night I was engineering this girl who told me she had paid £2000 for her midi files to be programed for her and my grandma could have done a better job, and she's been dead for 10 years. So all the budding amateurs keep up the good work, downloading a few bad midi files never hurt anyone and they don't take long to download anyway.

Just my thoughts.
  7. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

To Phill,

Well Phill, if you know where to buy them, you would definitly hear the difference. Commercial files ARE a lot better then most crap you can find on the internet for free (except for the illegal copied commercial files everyone is trying to find). If you don't hear the difference, you are a lucky man, just use the stuff you can find for free!!

Maybe that girl you are talking about was been riped off by some amateurs ?

To vondownsonfreid,

Yes, it can be very frustrating to see people copying and shearing files that are yours. I think most of them are simply not aware that it is illegal to copy midifiles, and do not know that midifiles can be protected works. TMHO, it is also a matter of informing the people, I noticed that there are a lot of misunderstandings concerning copyright laws. There are still a lot of sites with the announcement "only for educational use", etc.... But it still is an infringment of the copyright laws ! And I could give you more examples like this...

To blinkfastr, someguy909, karlt84, MC9114ever, and some others...

I think you should read this text:
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Kind regards,
    Alain Besseleer
    MidiDesign
    www.mididesign.be
  8. Screamy

Screamy New Member

I think Midi's must be free for every body :)
  9. MrOrange2001

MrOrange2001 New Member

exchange is definately beta than buying, cos having paid your money, the quality could be now beta than a half assed effort from a 3 yr old. great debate.
  10. jack3643

jack3643 New Member

I'll only buy a midi if I can't be bothered with the sequence. The only one I've really had to buy was Devil Went Down To Georgia :D That fiddle solo is a pain :S lol
    There's arguments for and against, and while I can understand both, while midi's can be traded free: long live the free midi :D
  11. jazzhands

jazzhands New Member

We should be able to just download for free.
  12. Cantante

Cantante New Member

Hi,
    I'm a new user and would like to clarify what we can and cannot 'swap' with other buddies.
    I understand that if the file is in hit trax catalogue we cannot exchange. And I presume that any original compositions can be exchanged.
    What EXACTLY can we exchange ???
    If I have a midi file from another proffessional supplier can I then swap, give, donate etc on this board or does it have to have been altered considerably by sequencing etc?
    I have hundreds of files from various sources and the majority I have altered for my own use using Cakewalk. Can I use these??
    Don't want to infringe on any copyright but if I have worked on the file and then choose to 'give it away' surely I can?

Please help before I do something I shouldn't.

C.
  13. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi Cantante,

If your work is based on the work of other people, you can not swap, donate or give it away without permission of the orriginal sequencer. Even if you have altered the file, and removed the copyright notice. So, if you have files of other (professional) sequencers, you should get permission first to exchange them.

It is not because you have "worked" on a file, that it becomes yours.

If you want to be sure that you don't do anything illegal, you should write a song, write the lyrics, sequence the whole song, add the lyrics to the midifile and after all this work, you may give it away for free, if you still want to !

Kind regards,
    Alain
    www.mididesign.be
  14. SC300TT DoRi

SC300TT DoRi New Member

I wouldn't pay for something that is potentially free. If i had to pay for music, i wouldn't bother with it.
  15. BedrocK

BedrocK New Member

Midi files should be free as long as it's not copyrighted..
  16. vince15

vince15 New Member

midis should be freeeeee!!!!only the proffesional ones should be paid fod download and this only for the peoples work
  17. H S

H S New Member

personally id love it if everything was free... but its not so i think if you have a product that others want, why not make some money in the process? :)
  18. Mirelia

Mirelia New Member

I like them to be free
  19. don0017

don0017 New Member

I've paid for midi before, thats cuz no one else had it ever. And although we're payin for an extremely small file that fits in a very small fraction of a floppy disk (I just had to look at both sides :) ) it is buyin the instrumental version of the song. Only thing we have to be careful bout is that midis can only sound right with the correct equipment. Although midi isn't the biggest topic in song licensing, it is still there, cuz midi r stuff people made. Unless u did the midi urself and sharin it, thats cool. But I myself is in the middle.
  20. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Why share?

Sharing midi's is generally accepted, but you must realize that when you give somebody a midifile for free, you do not pay a fee that is supposed to go to the creators of that song. It's similiar to the mp3 issues that most artists have.

A more similiar scenario exists with sheet music. You are not supposed to photocopy and give out any sheet music, because when you do, someone doesn't get their royalty fee.

I share my midi's, as does everyone else here, but be aware that at any time, some company will feel obliged to shut down this website for the reasons I have stated.

I'd hate to see it happen, as I have enjoyed the midi files I have received, and hope people have enjoyed the midi files I have shared. It really should be written off by the company's who want their royalties, as promotional costs. It would make everyone happy.
    Happy sharing.:hit: