Should We Pay For Midi Files When We Can Exchange Them For Free?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by egoveas, Sep 25, 2002.

1. decepticon

decepticon New Member

i agree with the others, buying midis is dodgy cos you dunno how good the track has been sequenced, some midis are very bad, while others are almost as good as mp3s....obviously without vocals
  2. sasorikox

sasorikox New Member

pissed

look I don't have a problem supporting the music industry. I love midis. I don't sequence them yet. I've tried fruity loops but can't get some of my best work to save in midi, so I gave up. Anyways I know how shafted people can get in the music industry (I used to work in entertainment). However I refuse to pay the prices that people want for these "bite size" music files. I was actually going to buy 2 hard to find midis but quickly changed my mind when they amounted to $32.00 Australian dollars around $16 US. That to me was crazy. I could buy a whole CD and 2 singles for that price. With lyrics. In my opinion the only way to charge for midis would be a professional site like Janglefish where for the cost of about 1 CD a month you can log on and download whatever you want from their servers. That 2 me would be worth it 2 get these so called professional files. Speaking of which aren't always the highest quality. I have to agree with the why pay outrageous amounts of money for a file that "could be" decent when you can trade for free.
  3. Tasja

Tasja New Member

i wouldn't buy midis.
  4. Veracity

Veracity New Member

Unless its a superb quality well thought out and perfect midi, then no. There is simply too much talent right now. The only problwem is the delivery aka no great p2p or similar for midi
  5. ivanwilson

ivanwilson New Member

If you're going to use them commercially why not pay for decent files?
  6. djthaoboie

djthaoboie New Member

7. grrrly

grrrly New Member

I can see no problem with sharing midi files for free for personal use; but if the midi is being used for commercial purposes then the creator definitely deserves to charge a license fee.
  8. songer

songer New Member

Well, for me and my band, we purchase midi online (hittrax oftentimes) since we use them professionally. I think it's only fair for us and the creator, because we're earning out of it. But I also have to admit that most of the songs that we play were all freely distributed on the net.
  9. valeona01

valeona01 New Member

I think that it is cool what boards like this are doing
  10. Ragnarok

Ragnarok New Member

midis are just low quality reincarnations of songs that are usually professionally composed, therefor, the midi author should hold no financial right over it as he he ripped someone elses meledy and created a midi version. They should definately be free.
  11. songer

songer New Member

i agree with you, ragnarok. but of course, these programmers exert too much effort just to share their files. they should have a credit too. especially when they put "contact/email me if you want to use these files commercially or professionally". they made these files therefore they should be given credit for what they have done, especially when they make good sequences.

but on the other hand, YES, i would vote for midi files to be free! :p

(im a libra, so u see, i'm fair! hahaha! :D )
  12. davidk

davidk New Member

I can see both sides also.. Sometimes time is at a premium, and if people from the audience just keep requesting a certain tune, from gig to gig, you want to get on it as quickly as possible...Other songs(as someone mentioned) are just impossible to find..forcing you to sequence it yourself, or just decide not to do the song...
    Another angle: If you sequence your own tunes, they're not going to sound like everyone elses..*ie. the exact same midifile of Black Magic Woman that you can download from dozens of sites on the net;)
    david
  13. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

hoard while you can ...
    In a cpl years/days everything we shared once will cost big time when 'they' figure out how to milk it out of us ....

Hooray for midibuddy
  14. waste

waste New Member

i love the way that everyone wants everything for free.

i think maybe 80% of this board should grow up, get a job, see what its like to support yourself. thats what pro midi sequencers do. some of those guys basically live off making midis. hell they have to pay for the rights to make the midi in the first place.

regardless - most people wouldnt understand the situation until they have been robbed.
  15. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

Yup! Too true walk a mile in someone else's shoes... everyone has a perspective they only see till they themselves or another enlighten's them.
  16. wilks58

wilks58 New Member

Seems to me there are 2 schools here - professional and amatuer. It seems harsh for those who use midi files purely for pleasure and are not making money to pay for these files.
  17. sils

sils New Member

i will never buy midi's if i cant get them for free
  18. geckormf

geckormf New Member

Just to throw another spanner in the works - legally, if you are performing to MIDI tracks, your local copyright and royalties organisations consider the track to be both a mechanical copyright (a physical reproduction of the track), which should be payed by the creator of the song everytime it gets sold, as well as a performance copyright, which should get paid by the performer on <every> performance. I've played a lot of places arround the world, and most times the venues pay a blanket fee to the royalties collection agencies, so it shouldn't phase the performer. Maybe Alain can shed more light on this from his experience, but it definitely stands in most countries who adhere to the Berne Convention.

It doesn't really affect most people until they start seeing an original composition being traded and/or performed. Pro files are a lot of work, communicate which ones are good and which are a load of #$%&. Reward the pros with what they are due, let them sort out their side of royalties and make sure that venue owners sort out their sides.
  19. dueerboy83

dueerboy83 New Member

i like free and i cannot lie
  20. WW1000

WW1000 New Member

Interesting discussion!