Simple Tips And Tricks

Discussion in 'Karaoke Files' started by -=BLADE=-, Mar 6, 2004.

1. -=BLADE=-

-=BLADE=- Omnipotent Metal God

SIMPLE TIPS AND TRICKS

If there's one thing I don't like about midi music it's the lack of true natural sound of instruments (not easy to find on the net). For example, I attempt to take the clarinet that sounds like a 'plastic songflute' and add some 'air' texture to it to bring out the more pure woodwind sounds in midi. There are some songs, due to octaves, where inserting a trombone can sound more like a trumpet than choosing to use 'trumpet'in the midi studio. Again, this has a bit to do with the sound card on each computer. I have attempted to make midi sounds more compatible on each computer sound card. Then there's that 'other thing' about midi music. It's that vague, empty music lacking 'kick' and 'bottom' that reminds me of those little pre-programed 'one touch organ synths'(Magic Genie comes to mind). This is where 'splitting multi sound tracks' or 'cloning music tracks' come into. I like a full, rich foundation which the bass and drums reside within.(bottom/kick) I plan to achieve better music quality soon and to the point that you can't tell much difference between midi and audio types. This has been somewhat difficult trying to keep the size down without losing quality. The thing I like best about midi music is size. It is smaller, easier and faster to load and store.
    Reverb, Echoe, Slides, Slurs, Distortion, Delay, and on and on. These are just some of the sound effects that are applied to music in the studio. If you have tried your own mixing in a studio you may be well aware of these terms and how to apply them. If not, anyone who has tried can tell you about some of the technical difficulties involved. I have been a musician (guitar) for 38 years and have been in many bands and still 'sit in' to jam with bands around the world. The reason I bring this up is because the experience of knowing all instruments and their tones can make the difference when mixing and applying the correct sound tracks. Some songs are edited or created better than others due to the ability to split and clone tracks when able.
    Knowing the right combinations to achieve the results you want have a lot to do with your ear. It takes a bit more than just attaching instruments and turning dials to get the midi music song and sounds.
  2. -=BLADE=-

Feel Free To Contribute

Feel free to contribute relevant material!
    MB Cash!

:trash:
  3. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

hi dont hows it goin? welcome to MB
    this bit interested me
    any tips and tricks on how to thicken up the bottom/kick?
    how do YOU do it?
    maybe some MB cash in it for ya.. ;)
  4. -=BLADE=-

Midi bottom/kick secret...

Since your interest in full and rich foundation based within midi files seems genuine (and it looks as though you are pretty important around here!) i'll let you in on a little secret (along with everyone else who reads this thread!...

Take a look at equiptment such as the "120A Subharmonic Synthesizer" Its two separate bands of bass synthesis provide the best combination of smoothness and control, and the independent Low Frequency Boost circuit is designed to get the most out of high-performance low frequency speaker systems. Why just rock the house when you can rattle the foundation loose? lol.

On a side from this i've attached a sample of my work, a tune i'm sure you will have heard of! If anyone would like any more samples, or has any requests I will be more than happy to help.

(Download WINAMP for best listening on your PC.)
    Please note: I am not breaking rules of MB as this is NOT advertising for WINAMP. WINAMP simply acts like a pre-amp volume booster and has many variable settings.

Attached Files:

5. voice of god

so from your midi sample u use 3 midi channels for bass all set to acoustic bass, do u do this for every song? and is it any different from just having one channel? Ive experimented with 2 channels for bass with different combinations(fingered,picked,acoustic etc) but I came to the conclusion that just one channel set to fingered bass sounded the best.

from what Ive read about the120A Subharmonic Synthesizer it produces a note an octave lower than the midi note, do u use one of these and do u think theyre worth having?
  6. -=BLADE=-

Expect to pay around $299.95, so dont get your heart set on one

I've recently started to use 2 or 3 midi channels for bass and i've been experimenting with the different bass sounds, fingered bass does have the nicest tone to it. I've also been messing about using muffled kick drums along with the bass line which is sometimes effective.
    You can't really ask me if it is worth having a piece of equiptment like the 120A Subharmonic Synthesizer though, when I don't know you very well or what you use midi for. I'm from the UK but if you are in america expect to pay around $299.95, so dont get your heart set on one.

:cool3:
  7. voice of god

well Im in Australia, play in a duo-two gutiarists, I use midi for drums and bass, we play fairly loud, and Ive got a quality PA but always noticed the midi just never gets that real bass sound to it...
  8. -=BLADE=-

Well then, if you can afford it it sounds like you would benefit from one or at least something similar.
  9. voice of god

yeah it sounds interesting, so you havent tried it? I wouldnt mind some first hand advice from someone whos used one first
  10. -=BLADE=-

Ok no probs. I'll ask around.
  11. sylia

sylia New Member

thanx for the tips
  12. -=BLADE=-

You're welcome

Do you have anything to contribute? I'd like to hear some tips myself!

:)