singing teaching tips?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tammy, Dec 16, 2003.

1. tammy

tammy New Member

how about some tips for singing teachers.
    here are a few.
    1.flexibility. adapt to needs of student
    2.repertoire
    3. recommend to students to learn to play an instrument as well
    4. use whole body to sing
    5. no tension and no pain in throat. ever!
    6. learn basics of theory
    7. never shout
    8.don't show boredom (especially when hearing 'beautiful' for the millionth time...
    9.ability to demonstrate

do other singing teachers encourage their students to 'copy' successful singers to learn their style/technique, and then later to develop individual style.

what do other teachers think.
    whats important to be a good singing teacher?
    t
  2. vanillafrost

vanillafrost New Member

hi my name is chelsie, i take singing lessons...my point of view may not help but i would like to try...tell me what you want to know and i'd be happy to try and help.
  3. X-Factor

X-Factor vvv Look it's Billy Hunt!

you should speak with jeaniesing shes a music teacher
  4. tammy

tammy New Member

If you are a psychologist, you are expected to see one yourself. if you are a doctor, you are expected to keep informed about new meds, etc.
    I was just hoping to correspond with people re singing. I teach singing. i have had no formal training, and am always striving to be a better teacher. So i was hoping to start a thread where everyone could swop information.

like pop singing vs jazz vs opera vs classical.
    different techniques, styles, mike technique or without.
    etc etc
    happpy to share information with those who are interested.
    i have developed my own style of teaching.
    does anyone use for eg. seth riggs style of teaching. would like to chat about teaching singing.
    t
  5. X-Factor

X-Factor vvv Look it's Billy Hunt!

o no i no but i was just trying to help in case you didnt know.
  6. tammy

tammy New Member

ok. thanks.
    what type of training are you doing?
    how often?
    what songs do you sing?
    t
  7. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

ergh!!! Tammy I was SURE I'd responded to this thread but my post is nowhere to be found... I assure you it was lengthyall those little bits of lost information in cyberspace! Pleeeeeeease forgive me! I will - I promise - converse at great length on the topic... once my yicky-headache goes away ;) ;)!
  8. tammy

tammy New Member

ow. hope your headache goes fffffffaaaaaaar away soon!
    funnily enough, when i started this thread i accidently wiped out my first list of dos and donts.

next week i hope to teach singing to a 6 year old who can't even read yet and is still in her last year at pre-school/kindergarden!
    thats a challenge.

one of the first things i tell all my students, is to go and learn an instrument! which i think is more important than learning to sing... but thats all from my experiences as a wanna be singer way-back-not-that-long-ago.
    i look forward to swopping info! you are classically taught and trained i assume. i come from the other side. i only started learning to sing at 20.
    speak to you soon
    t
  9. vanillafrost

vanillafrost New Member

i actually cant read music and i take voice lessons....
  10. vanillafrost

vanillafrost New Member

i started about a year ago and itz gr8...my teacher actually probably could help you....i'll ask her...however....i dont go bak 2 voice lessons for about 2 or 3 weeks because of the holiday....but i will ask her as soon as i can~!
  11. tammy

tammy New Member

music music music

if you are doing it just for fun. no need to be able to read music. but, if you want to unravel the mysteries of music..... learn some theory. i loved it. it is like learning a new language. some people say it is like maths.. i wasnt good at either at school and loved the theory, but then it was a mystery for most of my life. i think if you want to perform, one should learn other things. like if you want to sing with a band, understand chords, keys, timing, solo etc.
    if you want to get into musicals you should understand some theory so you dont look stupid if they asked you what key your song is etc.

thats some of the info i like to share. other ideas etc. you dont even have to ask your teacher, you can share insights etc too.
    thanks for the response.
    t