So I've got the laptop...

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by danpri, Nov 4, 2004.

1. danpri

danpri New Member

...and then what's the best programs to install for playing midis in a show?
    Dan
  2. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Actually I'm not sure that playing MIDIs live is a great idea, but that's just me... ;)

I would recommened Quicktime Player,
    But there's also WMP, and Winamp... etc etc.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for.
  3. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Something professional. ;) Some say hardware synths are a good way to go, but I'll wait for a response from someone in your field.
  4. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

hmm, I dont know. I think u might need to run any kind of midi program(cakewalk etc) on your laptop then to an external sound card ??

I just use a midi sequencer - no laptop

not sure??
  5. danpri

danpri New Member

Well, I have a Roland RA-95 I use now but I want to get some hipper drums happening that's why I thought a laptop/etc might be the go.
  6. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Actually a quality GM compatible system mod. would probably be a very good idea.
  7. danpri

danpri New Member

What's the most "rad" midi sequencer going around then?
  8. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Cakewalk gives the best sound.... but I don;t think you can program a series of pieces which would be best for a show... a jukebox kinda program is best...
  9. voice of god

I've been researching this a lot lately.

The advice Ive been getting is this - Logic pro 7 is probably th best out there for what u want -

Its a midi sequencing program(and a hell of a lot more) with built in synths,this means it will change the midi drums to sampled drums(hipper sounding drums), it has some kits built in along with synths for all the other instruments(they sound way better than general midi) Ok so its everything that it sounds like u are needing. Its a pro piece of gear.

But it runs on mac only, depend what kinda laptop u got.

Now apparently if u want 'the best 'drums out there. These are the big two Drumkit From Hell Superior and BFDfxpansion. They are plugins not like Logic or cakewalk etc. , but u ADD them to logic or cakewalk to make the drums sound better. But they are HUGE in size and u need a powerful computer to run either of them.

From what Ive been reading they are the best.

So anyway to get better sounding drums you have to convert the midi drums to synth or sampled drums(audio samples of REAl drums being hit that are triggered by ur midi files).

So with Logic 7(apperently) everything is there and its quite easy to do that. U just import ur midi file and tweak it to how u want it to sound, with the different drumkits and eq's, compression etc. Logic 7 is like a recording studio(its pro) Then once u have everything tweaked the way u want it, u save it as an audio file and play it either on ur laptop or thru an ipod or burn to cd., for live playback.

Hope that helps/is understandable
  10. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Cakewalk/Sonar is my personal favorite, is goes for about $480 for new customers, but check places like ebay too, I got mine there for about $60. :D

Anvil Studio is a good less featured but free, alternative, you can get it here: http://www.anvilstudio.com
  11. midiaxe

midiaxe New Member

I use Cakewalk Sonar in studio and in live performance using my laptop. I play in a 3-piece band, an acoustic guitar player/lead vocals, a bass player/vocals and myself on the keyboard. I play all of our midi songs on my laptop using my keyboard as sound module. This setup works well with the band and we've been doing this for almost 3 years now. I've been using Cakewalk since '97 and highly recommend it.

Hope this help!
  12. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

I believe that there is two steps to midi backed performing.
    The first is getting the desired sound from the midi the second is doing it on stage.
    I have found a stack of usefull programs and soundfonts for getting the right sound. i.e. Sonar for midi editing and a heap of soundfonts and softsynths to get the sounds right.
    So now I can either get expensive laptop, load all this on to it and trigger it all live on stage, at this point there is a lot that can go wrong with various hardware and software to stuff up the performance.
    I like to keep things simple on stage to prevent technical hitches stuffing things up. I master all tracks to minidisc and play them that way, I get all the great sounds I want without carting all the technology to a gig. I have tried dumping to mp3 and burning cd's but found they jumped a bit. might of been my setup that did that, (cheap cd player) but there is another suggestion.
    The good thing is that I have two copies of every minidisc in case one plays up, and all minidiscs mastered to cd (in case the player dies) bit of overkill but the show will always go on.
    Just last month I was reading that Duran Duran had to cancel a spot because Nick Rhodes laptop died, it can happen to the best!

This solution means that I can play at home with various technology to get different sounds but it is always the same at gig time, no need to change the performance gear everytime I find a better way to create sounds.
  13. voice of god

Great advice!

I think the ultimate would be an imac computer with Logic Pro 7 and an ipod

the beauty of this is theyre all made to work together.

Once youve tweaked ur midis in Logic on the imac u simply TRANSFER them via a usb cable to the ipod for live playback.

No skipping or burning or extra programs etc... then get a spare ipod too( right bladez :thumbsup:
  14. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

So true VOG, compatability is a great thing, makes everything work easy.
    Also the eaiser it is to setup and use the faster we get to do what we started to do.....Play Music!!

oh yeah and get that spare iPod, we did a gig once a few years ago about 70-80 mile from home, got all the way there and I forgot the minidisc player attached to my computer at home. Cost me $50 in cab fares to get it run out, now thanks to eBay I have 6 minidisc players of various sizes!!

another quick tip that a friend of mine pointed out, I have a minidisc player in my truck (another eBay item) now with my backing tracks on minidisc I can practice singing on the way to
    the gig.
  15. newmax03

newmax03 New Member

I am big fan of cakewalk, quick easy and simple. It is hard to beat, plus you can find it for downlad pretty easy
  16. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Would you be talking about downloading it easily on, say, Kazaa? ;)